The SAGU football Lions hit the road on Saturday night with an out of state contest against Kansas Wesleyan University in Salina, Ks. This is the second of three straight road games for the Lions.

On the Coyotes first play from scrimmage, the Lions Tim Puckett intercepted a KWU pass for the first turnover of the game.

After trading three punts, the Coyotes, took the ball down the field to hit a 28-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

SAGU would then punt on their next possession and KWU again took the ball down the field 39-yards in five plays to score on a 2-yard touchdown run to take a 10-0 lead.

The Lions responded on their next possession with an 11-play drive that ended with a 27-yard field goal by Raymond Santibenez and that moved the game from the first quarter to the second quarter.

As KWU took the ball back, SAGU trailed 10-3.

The Coyotes responded with another strong drive. This time KWU would go six plays and 67 yards to hit paydirt on a nine yard touchdown pass to re-up the lead to 17-3.

SAGU would throw an interception on their next possession which was then followed by a Ryan Muhlman interception to give the ball back to the Lions.

This would spur the Lions to a 15 play, 88-yard drive that ended with a Jason Rice touchdown run from four yards out. The extra point was blocked and the Lions would force a halftime score of 17-9.

Into the third quarter, KWU took over after an SAGU punt on their own 44 and moved the ball to the SAGU 41. On the next rushing play, the Coyotes fumbled the ball and Jason Jenkins up the ball and returned it 19 yards for a touchdown. Down two points, SAGU's two point conversion failed, leaving the score 17-15.

On the Lionís next drive, a field goal attempt to take the lead was blocked, giving the ball back to the Coyotes. Six plays and 20-yards later, the Coyotes scored and took 24-15 lead with minutes remaining in the third quarter.

Before the quarter was out, the Lions would drive back down the field and Santibenez would hit a 33-yard field goal to make the score 24-18.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Coyotes would fumble the ball on the 2-yard line where the Lionís Zak Martinez would go the six feet needed to score another SAGU touchdown. With the extra point, the Lions would take a 25-24 lead.

With about 11 minutes left in the game, KWU was driving deep into SAGU territory, when the Coyotes fumbled their fourth ball of the game and the Lions recovered the pigskin to retake possession.

The Lions then drove from their own 17-yard line to into KWU territory to hit a Santibenez 28-yard field goal and lead 28-24 with eight minutes left in the game.

SAGU would convert three field goals on the night.

The Coyotes were not done yet. On their next possession, KWU would consume the clock and drive down the field to score on a 1-yard touchdown run to make the score 30-28. KWU then attempted a two point conversion that failed, leaving SAGU down two points with just under two minutes on the clock.

On their next possession, the Lions would throw an interception leading the Coyotes to kneel down, kill the clock, and edge out the Lions by two points.

For the Lions, Chris Eiland after posting 143 yards last week carried the

ball 26 times on Saturday for 177 yards (6.8 yards per carry).

It was a mixed bag passing wise for the Lions. Jason Race threw for 56 yards and completed three of passes. Joseph Garcia completed four passes on 16 attempts for 12 yards.

Taylor Wallis led the SAGU receiving corp with three receptions and 76 yard through the air.

Defensively, the Lions forced six turnovers; two interceptions, one by Puckett and one by Muhlman and then four Lions recovered fumbles by the Coyotes. Jason Jenkins finish the night as the tackles leader for the Lions with 11.

Saturday, at 1:30 p.m. in Ottawa, Ks., the Lions (0-4) will play Ottawa College to complete a three game road swing.