COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) _ A Texas A&M University student has been hospitalized after being diagnosed with bacterial meningitis, campus officials said.

University officials said Wednesday that they were notified by a local hospital on Tuesday. Officials would not release the name of the student, but said the student's classmates and professors have been notified, The Bryan-College Station Eagle reported for its Thursday editions.

Meningitis is a potentially deadly infection of the fluid that surrounds the spinal cord and brain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The bacterial form is contagious and can cause brain damage, hearing loss and learning disabilities.

Symptoms include high fever, headache and a stiff neck.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.