Around 3:30 this morning, the chill of the snowy morning started to set in as hundreds of Southwestern Assemblies of God students flooded out of Teeter Hall.
The sound of the fire alarm and people yelling could be heard coming from the dorm. “I really wish this was a dream; I did not even know it was going to be snowing outside,” said senior Amy Casper as she stood bundled up in a blanket with only thin slippers to keep her feet warm in the snow.
Southwestern has two fire drills each semester – one announced and one unannounced. The problem this time was that both had already taken place a week prior; this was not one of the routine fire drills. As residential assistants were filing students out of the building, voices could be heard saying that the fourth floor girls’ hall had a leak in the pipes. Little did they know that soon the pipes would burst and one whole wing would have about four inches of flooding from the melted ice.
Once the students were allowed back inside, they were immediately instructed to start pulling furniture away from the walls and to unplug all electronics. This was especially difficult for the fourth floor as the girls, with ground already soaked, dared to unplug and move everything closer to the middle of the room.
About 30 minutes later, the third floor started to get water dripping through the ceiling. Paint started to bubble and clump as water sank between it and the walls.
Then girls on the second floor started to hear a dripping sound coming from the maintenance closet. The guys on staff came in and opened the door only to see water pouring down and a puddle of water already starting to spread throughout the hall. Showers started to leak water through the lights, and people started to become anxious.
About one hour after the event, Amanda Harvey, one of the girls affected by this event, had updated her Facebook status: “Fire alarm at 3:30 in the morning, ran out in the 5 inches of snow barefoot, water pipe busted, my entire floor is flooded. No where to stay tonight. Lots of crying … literally worst night of my life.”
Eventually, the water flow started to subside, and the panic started to cease. Kelsea Svochak, who had to sleep on a mattress in the t.v. room, had a positive outlook on the whole event: “Just think. We’ll look back on today and always remember the day that Teeter got flooded.” She said with a slight giggle.
“I’m completely calm,” said Katie Heth, another occupant of the fourth floor. “I feel like it was really dramatic for awhile, but now that it’s all calm, I feel as though everybody can just go to sleep and relax.” And this is exactly what everybody was able to do. Though it was quite surreal, this was one event that will go down in SAGU history – The Flood in Teeter Hall.