MIDLOTHIAN — Members of the Midlothian Fire Department responded to a possible structure fire early Friday, with units dispatched to the 500 block of S. Sixth St. at 2:08 a.m.

“When we first got there, the resident had already gotten out of the house because of the smoke. The front door was open. So when we pulled up we could see the smoke in the house through the open front door. When we sent a crew in to figure out where the fire was they finaly located it in the laundry basket,” Midlothian Fire Chief David Schrodt said. 

“I don’t know what exactly set fire to the laundry basket. The report said the resident had washed and dried a load of towels and went to bed about 10:45 p.m. and had placed the towels into a fabric laundry basket on the floor,” he said.

Schrodt said he’s known of situations where hot clothing or towels taken out of a dryer were not allowed to cool and placed in a closet where heat couldn’t escape, causing ignition.

No other damage was done to the structure; the fire was contained to the basket. Firefighters put the small fire out and then ventilated the structure of smoke. Assisting Midlothian on the call were members if the Ovilla Fire Department. Units cleared the scene at 3:20 a.m.

Contact Andrew at andrew.branca@wninews.com or 469-517-1458.