This Weekís Weather Quiz
1. As of Aug. 19, 2007, whatís the coolest temperature that I have recorded so far this August? (a) 69 degrees (b) 73 degrees (c) 76 degrees (d) 78 degrees
2. As of Aug. 19, 2007, whatís the warmest temperature that I have recorded so far this August? (a) 100 degrees (b) 102 degrees (c) 104 degrees (d) 106 degrees
3. The normal average temperature for the first half of August is 84.7 degrees. Can you guess what it was for the first half of this August? (a) 82.9 degrees (b) 84.4 degrees (c) 85.9 degrees (d) 86.6 degrees
4. The following four numbers are the correct number of 100 degree or above days that I have recorded for each of the last fours years, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Can you match the correct number of 100 degrees or above days with the correct year? (a) only one day (b) 15 days (c) 18 days (d) 40 days
5. Aug. 12, I recorded the first 100 degree or above day this year. Can you guess when I recorded the first 100 degree or above day last year? (a) May 27 (b) June 13 (c) July 12 (d) August 4.
Letís take a look back at some weather highlights that I have recorded so far in 2007. We will take a look at January through April this week and May through July the following week.
Jan. 1, 2007 - The New Year began cold. The low temperature was 32 degrees and the high 49 degrees with clear skies.
Jan. 11 - Area lakes were well below normal. Lake Fork - 4.43 feet below normal, Cedar Creek - 6.07 feet below, Grapevine - 12.17 feet below, Lavon - 15.36 feet below, Lewisville - 8.37 feet below, Ray Hubbard - 3.41 feet below, Ray Roberts - 7.84 feet below, Richland Chambers - 10.65 feet below, and Tawakoni - 10.98 feet
Jan. 17 - At 8 a.m., some light sleet was on the ground that began during the night around 3 a.m. At 9 a.m. it was 27 degrees. About a quarter of an inch of ice was on the ground.
Jan. 18 - The temperature made it above freezing, 33 degrees, at 9 a.m. It was the first time since the evening of Jan. 14, or about 80 consecutive hours below freezing.
Jan. 21 - Itís been cloudy for the last 10 consecutive days. Today, January 21, sunshine, after morning fog.
January 2007 wasnít real cold, but it was consistently cold, especially the daytime high temperatures. They averaged 4.6 degrees below normal. January 2007 was 2.8 degrees below normal for the month.
January 2007 had 13 days that reached freezing or below. The total rainfall was 4.67 inches or 1.59 inches above normal.
February 2007 was dry, only 0.96 of an inch recorded all month.
Valentines Day was cloudy and freezing cold all day. The low was 28 degrees and the high only 33 degrees.
Feb. 24 - 4 a.m. - A dust storm occurred in Ennis and north central Texas in the afternoon an evening. Northwest winds of 25 to 45 mph. with dust and blowing dust.
Feb. 16 - I recorded a low temperature of 17 degrees. I recorded eight days in February 2007 that reached freezing or below.
March 2007 is the wettest March Iíve ever recorded with a total of 10.27 inches of rain. It was also the second warmest March Iíve recorded in the last 34 years of keeping weather observations and records in Ennis. It was 6.5 degrees above normal.
I recorded 8.93 inches of rain the last week of March 2007.
Have you already forgotten that it snowed in Ennis this April? Light snow flurries began about noon April 7. At 1 p.m., occasional periods of snow was falling. At 1:15 p.m. the temperature was 38 degrees with light snow. Occasional snow fell until about 3:30 p.m. but did not stick on the ground. It was a rare April weather event and it occurred one day before Easter Sunday.
April 8 - Easter Sunday was partly cloudy and cool. The low was 37 degrees and the high only 52 degrees.
Next week we will take a look back at May through July 2007.
Ennis Temperatures and rainfall for the week of August 13-19, 2007:
The normal low temperature for this time of year is 75 degrees. The normal high temperature for this time of year is 95 degrees.
Monday, Aug. 13 - low temperature 78 degrees; high temperature 100 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Tuesday, Aug. 14 - low temperature 76 degrees; high temperature 102 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Wednesday, Aug. 15 - low temperature 78 degrees; high temperature 101 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Thursday, Aug. 16 - low temperature 77 degrees; high temperature 95 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Friday, Aug. 17 - low temperature 78 degrees; high temperature 91 degrees. Rainfall - 0.02 of an inch.
Saturday, Aug. 18 - low temperature 74 degrees; high temperature 91 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Sunday, Aug. 19 - low temperature 77 degrees; high temperature 95 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Temperature Range and Total Rainfall for the week of August 13-19, 2007:
The coolest temperature 76 degrees on Aug. 14. The warmest temperature 102 degrees on Aug. 14. Total rainfall August 13-19 - 0.02 of an inch.
Rainfall for Month and Year:
Rainfall Aug. 1-19 - 0.28 of an inch. Normal rainfall for all of August - 2.30 inches. Rainfall so far this year, January through Aug. 19 - 40.31 inches. Normal rainfall January through all of August - 25.96 inches.
Weather Flashbacks for August 13-19:
Aug. 13, 2006 - low temperature 79 degrees; high temperature 102 degrees. Partly cloudy and very hot. As of Aug. 13, 2006 I had recorded only 0.12 of an inch of rain in the last 39 days. I had also recorded 25 days that had reached 100 degrees or above.
Aug. 14, 2006 - low temperature 77 degrees; high temperature 102 degrees. Clear and very hot.
Aug. 15, 2006 - low temperature 80 degrees; high temperature 106 degrees. Clear and scorching hot. At 10:30 p.m. it was still a warm 91 degrees.
Aug. 16, 1992 - low temperature a cool 58 degrees; high temperature 86 degrees. Clear and pleasant for mid August. Record low temperatures were broken or tied in 43 cities across the country as an unusually cool mid August cool front brought a welcomed relief to the summer.
Aug. 16, 2006 - low temperature 79 degrees; high temperature 105 degrees. Clear and scorching hot.
Aug. 17, 2006 - low temperature 80 degrees; high temperature 106 degrees. Clear and scorching hot.
Aug. 18, 2006 - low temperature 79 degrees; high temperature 103 degrees. Partly cloudy and very hot. At 9:30 p.m. itís still a warm 93 degrees and it was a warm 90 degrees at 11:30 p.m.
This Weekís Small Texas Town Salute:
Dot - population 17, located in Falls County in east central Texas.
Erin - population 40, located in Jasper County in east Texas.
Fort McKavett - population 15, located in Menard County in west central Texas.
Greenwood - population 35, located in Hopkins County in northeast Texas.
Hillcrest - population 25, located in Colorado County in south central Texas.
Lesley - population 45, located in Hill County in north central Texas.
Medill - population 50, located in Lamar County in south Texas.
Answers to this Weekís Weather Quiz:
1. B - As of Aug. 19, the coolest temperature that I have recorded so far this August is 73 degrees on August 3.
2. B - As of Aug. 19, the warmest temperature that I have recorded so far this August is 102 degrees on Aug. 14.
3. C - The average temperature for the first half of this August is 85.9 degrees or 1.2 degrees above normal.
4. A - Only one day - 2004, (b) 15 days - 2003, (c) 18 days - 2005, (d) 40 days - 2006.
5. C - I recorded the first 100 degree or above day last year on July 12, 2006 - 101 degrees.