By Patty Hullett
Special to the Daily Light
The award-winning Cherokee Charmers recently announced the installation of 2020-21 officers for the 58th Charmer Line.
The new "top brass" were selected on May 11 and include Lexie Burchfield, 11th, Junior Lieutenant; Somer Clark, 11th, Junior 1st Lieutenant; Ellinor Bearden, 12th, Senior Captain; Emma Moses,11th, Senior Lieutenant; and Victoria Borders,11th, Junior Lieutenant.
In a new twist, drill team officers and team members were selected by virtual tryouts this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All officer candidates had to submit additional criteria and all Charmer Line hopefuls had to submit video routines.
"We were not able to have face-to-face tryouts, so our general tryouts looked a bit different this spring," said Charmer Director Erica Pointer-Wilcox. "However, we are excited to announce that there will be 35 total Charmer Line members on the football field in the coming fall, along with 10 (JV) Maidens, and they will be led by five outstanding officers."
The newly selected line members for 2020-21 include:
• Freshmen: Janyce Brians, Avianna Castillo, Madeleine (Maddie) Dunn, Taylor Lister, Alexia Pruitt, Lauryen Seay, Victoria Slate, Jakera Steele and Cidney Velazquez
• Sophomores: Amy Ceron, Sieana Coger, Emma Davis, Elaina Garcia, Keziah Hanna, Shanyia Johnson, Mackenzie Mills, Lavender Patterson, Hannah Ridgway, Celeste Rivera and Bayleigh Zeis
• Juniors: Victoria Borders, Alexis (Lexie) Burchfield, Somer Clark, Paris Hendricks, Tracy Jordan, Sadi O’Barr, Loida Perez and Hayleigh Ruiz
• Seniors: Ellinor Bearden, Kendalyn Harrison, Alicia Lacy, Chantelle Lemons, Destinee Lowens, Cecilia Montelongo and Emma Moses.
According to Pointer-Wilcox, the new officers recently attended an American Dance/Drill Team School Officer Dance and Leadership Camp on campus at WHS, due to pandemic restrictions and school regulations.
"Our five officers did an outstanding job representing the Cherokee Charmers, and are ready to lead the 58th Line to new adventures," Pointer-Wilcox said. "As their director, I am extremely proud of all of their hard work over the three-day camp."
The "FRESH FIVE" (as they have been dubbed) received the following awards at camp:
• Gussie Nell Davis Award of the Week: Emma Moses and Victoria Borders
• Pizzazz Award: Lexie Burchfield
• Spirit of ADTS: Somer Clark and Ellinor Bearden
• All American: Ellinor Bearden
• All American Honorable Mention: Lexie Burchfield and Somer Clark
• All American Dance Company: Ellinor Bearden
• Outstanding Dance Performer: Ellinor Bearden
Pointer-Wilcox will be starting her 14th year at WHS. She is helped by Assistant Director Jessica Ramirez, who is in her 12th year. Both are Waxahachie High School graduates and Charmer alumnae.