1. An Adopt-A-Highway Trash pickup will take place Sunday, beginning at 7 a.m. The event is part of a quarterly gathering, this time hosted by Beard Commander and BC Seasonings & Rubs of Waxahachie, to help keep Texas beautiful. Vehicles are needed to drive crews from one location to another, and supplies such as water and trash bags are sought as well. The meeting location for the event will be the Shell gas station on Hwy 287 in Reagor Springs, approximately 1.5 miles west of the Texas Motorplex Racetrack. Bring a friend!
2. The Go Gold on the Green Golf Tournament will kick off Saturday. Arrive early for the 7 a.m. registration time, as tee time is 8 a.m. The event is hosted by Bellanne Butterfly Blessings and will take place at the Waxahachie Country Club. The tournament honors Bellanne Coonrad, a 7-year-old Maypearl girl who battled Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Awareness month, and the tournament's proceeds will support the non-profit and help to raise awareness.
3. Ever wondered what reading tea leaves is all about? According to Wild Thyme Herb Shop in Waxahachie, the ancient practice relates to using symbols "to open your inner psyche and receive messages." Wild Thyme will host the TeaRiffick! Tea Leaf Reading Workshop on Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m. Guest instructor Danna Getske will be on hand to help participants and provide her own interpretations. There's no wrong way to read a tea leaf, so call today to reserve your space.
4. Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Midlothian will host local musician Jade Flores on Saturday from 6 to 9 p.m. at 513 George Hopper Rd. Take a load off and join members of the community on the patio at Fuzzy's for good food, good tunes and a good time.
5. Taste of Market will be offering melon creations for sampling at the Waxahachie Downtown Farmers Market. Our farmers and growers have a variety of melons for sale. In addition to watermelon, muskmelon and cantaloupe, look for some new varieties. Market chefs Cheryl and Arlene will be offering some unusual ways to prepare and serve these wonderful summer fruits. For starters, you can try some pickled watermelon rind, a three-melon salsa, melon water and more. Come see what's chilling in the tasting room in the front of the market. Remember, it's air-conditioned inside!