The Daily Light's guide to weekend entertainment and family fun includes:
1. Enjoy a shandy at Railport Brewing Co. this weekend with an excellent line-up of musical talent. The weekend kicks-off with an acoustic set by Alex Engelhardt that includes Texas County tunes and powerful original pieces. Then on Saturday, beer drinkers can jam out to Burning Slow. There is no entry fee, and a food truck will be located on-site. Good vibes, friends, kids, and dogs are welcome. Railport Brewing Co is located at 405 W. Madison St. in Waxahachie.
2. The best first impression a homeowner can make is with an eye-catching doormat. Board and Brush Waxahachie is hosting a doormat workshop on Saturday starting at 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. Later that evening at 6:30 p.m. the crafty shop will host a "pick your project" where customers can create a fall, Halloween, Christmas or everyday design. For people, 21 years and older, drinks are provided. Board and Brush Waxahachie is located at 116 N. College St.
3. Back to school brings changes, and change can be especially hard for children with autism. Andrea Franzese knows this as both an educator and a mom. She and her 22-year-old son, Gabe, who is on the autism spectrum, will share what helps and what doesn't when it's back to school time. Educators and parents alike will benefit from hearing all they have to share in the Second Sunday Speaker Series at Three Rivers Coffee Co. The conversation is from 7 —7:45 p.m. at Three Rivers Coffee Co. in Waxahachie. This free community event is sponsored by Elledge Counseling Associates. The shop is located at 2801 North Highway 77, suite 100.
4. The mayor's annual Back to School Bash will be in full swing this Saturday from at 9 a.m.— 12 p.m. in Midlothian. This free event serves over 450 students with a complete list of school supplies. Food, face painting, eye exams, candy cannons, water slides, games and a dunking booth will be provided to patrons. Supplies, eye exams and haircuts are limited to those who pre-register through Mana House. The Back to School Bash will take place at Frank Seal Middle School, located at 700 George Hopper Road in Midlothian.
5. This Saturday is Kids Day at the Waxahachie Downtown Farmers Market. The Ellis County Master Gardeners will be on hand to provide a hands-on craft for kids of all ages. There will be a table full of flowers, leaves, stems and greens of all sorts to encourage learning about the many uses of plants. Kids are invited to make a pressed flower bookmark using preserved plant materials to take home and enjoy while reading a favorite summer book. Look for the Ellis County Master Gardeners in the air-conditioned classroom.