WAXAHACHIE

The Waxahachie City Council approved the next step in the development of the Saddle Brook Estates subdivision that will contain 900 lots and 16 open spaces during its Monday night meeting.

Before the board officially approved the preliminary plat, landscape plan, and development agreement, City of Waxahachie Director of Planning, Shon Brooks, told the council the increase in traffic in Saddle Brook was taken into consideration as staff evaluated the proposal.

“With 900 lots, it becomes difficult to move traffic in and out. The staff has been working with the developer for the proposed location of the homes,” Brooks said. “The development agreement states there would be a second and third entrance to the area.”

Brooks explained the developer could build the second entrance and up to 100 homes now. However, when the developer reaches 101 homes, the third entrance must be constructed.

“Historically speaking, we know that traffic has been a problem. It would provide two alternative options to get onto a frontage road rather than a highway,” Brooks said. “Over the course of many years, there were conversations of how this was going to look. We have come to an agreeable route.”

The development of the project is under the direction of Jacobs Engineering Group. The Jacobs website states some of the services it provides include engineering, construction, architectural, planning, program, and construction management.

In other business, the council approved a roadway construction agreement to move forward with the construction of Vista Way that is located inside the North Grove subdivision. This roadway would provide the necessary access to serve the new Waxahachie ISD elementary school.

City Manager Michael Scott stated the agreement shares the costs of construction between the city and the John Houston Development Company. The city would pay 75 percent of the roadway construction, and John Houston would pay the remaining 25 percent. The North Grove subdivision has a total build-out of more than 2,200 lots.

“Typically, the roadway would be constructed as part of the next phase of lot development. However, the anticipated school construction and opening will occur prior to this time,” Scott said. “With the recent construction of North Grove Boulevard, this portion of Vista Way will provide the primary north-south collector road needed to serve this and neighboring subdivisions.”