1. SATURDAY BREWERY TOUR & TASTING: Start off college football’s kickoff weekend right with a cold one or two from Railport Brewing Company in Waxahachie. Wear your colors, cheer your team and enjoy craft beers by the glass, flight or take a brewery tour for $15. Tours include three brews of your choice, plus a souvenir glass and a complimentary sample courtesy of the brewing company. Noon to 6 p.m. every Saturday at 405 West Madison Street. - David Dunn
2. With a four-day weekend, a last-minute vacation to Lake Whitney could be the perfect getaway to end the summer. The prairies and lakes region only 50 minutes away from Waxahachie. Any visitor can experience memorable sunsets and beautiful nature. The Lake Whitney area consists of golf courses, scenic driving routes, museums and a plethora of shops. For more information on Lake Whitney State Park, visit https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/lake-whitney. - Ashley Ford
3. If you plan on attending any tailgates, holiday potlucks or cook outs on Saturday, be sure to bring the bacon to mark International Bacon Day and make those burgers and hot dogs extra tasty.
4. The college football season has already started and there are several big games this holiday weekend. The NFL is not far behind as its season starts t a few days after Labor Day. Make sure your fantasy teams are in good order (or hold a fantasy draft with your buddies), set up your man cave and get ready for some fun.
5. In theaters this weekend is “Kin” a PG-13 rated sci-fi film about a recently released ex-con and his adopted teenage brother who are forced to go on the run with a weapon of mysterious origin as their only protection; and the historical thriller “Operation Finale” rated PG-13 about a team of secret agents set out to track down the Nazi officer who masterminded the Holocaust.