Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is another Marvel flix, “Ant-Man and the Wasp,” rated PG-13, wherein Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) tries to balance being both the superhero Ant-Man with being a dad, meanwhile Hope van Dyne and Dr. Hank Pym present an urgent new mission that finds the Ant-Man fighting alongside The Wasp to uncover secrets from their past; ” The First Purge” an R-rated action-horror film that is a prequel to 2013′s “The Purge” that focuses on the events that lead up to the very first Purge event.
2. Invite your friends over for some gaming this weekend as Saturday is Video Games Day. Play your favorite new releases or vintage games or go online to watch recaps of last month’s Electronic Entertainment Expo presentations to learn what video game publishers are planning to release in the coming months.
3. If you want to get out of the house this weekend, we suggest you plan a picnic. If you need a menu suggestion, you can’t go wrong with hot dogs and ice cream (among other delights) – July is National Hot Dog Month and National Ice Cream Month.
4. On July 8, 1947, a public information officer at the Roswell Army Air Field in New Mexico issued a press release stating that personnel there had recovered a “flying disc”, which had crashed on a ranch near Roswell, New Mexico. So began one of the world’s most famous — and most debunked — UFO claims. While there’s still no hard evidence of alien life to celebrate, you can still celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Roswell UFO incident: Watch some alien-themed TV shows (such as the recent X-Files reboot) or movies (“Independence Day” or it’s sequel “Independence Day: Resurgence”), or make some alien-themed crafts.
5. If your favorite team has been kicked out of the World Cup, don’t worry, there’s plenty of other sports on. This weekend we have NASCAR’s Overton’s 400 at the Chicagoland Speedway, as well as the usual Major League Baseball and Major League Soccer games, so you’ll have plenty to watch on TV. Check your newspaper for schedules.