Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters this week is “Ocean’s 8” PG-13, the much-anticipated all-female lead remake of the popular crime films where a crew led by Debbie Ocean (Sandra Bullock) attempts an impossible heist at New York City’s annual Met Gala; the R-rated horror film “Hereditary” stars Toni Collette as a woman whose family begins to unravel cryptic and increasingly terrifying secrets about their ancestry after their matriarch (Ann Dowd) dies; and lastly “Hotel Artemis” an R-rated thriller, takes place in a riot-torn, near-future Los Angeles, where Jean Thomas (Jodie Foster) is a nurse who runs a secret members-only hospital for criminals.
2. The 72nd Annual Tony Awards will be held on Sunday at 8 p.m. ET on CBS and hosted by musicians Josh Groban and Sara Bareilles. “Mean Girls” and “SpongeBob SquarePants” each received 12 nominations, tying as the most-nominated shows of the season. To see the full list of nominees and print out a ballot so you and friends can try to guess the winners, head over to www.tonyawards.com.
3. The 150th Belmont Stakes take place Saturday at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York. TV coverage begins at 4:00 p.m. ET on NBC, with the race scheduled for 6:37 p.m. ET. Or check out the livestream at NBCSports.com or through the NBC Sports app. Justify is the odds-on favorite to claim the Belmont Stakes and horse racing’s second Triple Crown since 2015.
4. Lastly, Sunday is Iced Tea Day, a day to celebrate the creation of the refreshing beverage in 1904 at the St. Louis World Fair. In honor of the day, whip up a batch yourself, or hit the town to cool off with some iced tea.
5. While Flag Day isn’t officially until Thursday (as it commemorates the adoption of the flag on June 14, 1777), some events are happening this weekend in observance. Check your local paper for details. For example, The National Flag Day Foundation, based in Waubeka, Wisconsin, has its annual observance on the second Sunday in June.