Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is the new “Tomb Raider” rated PG-13 an adaptation of the rebooted game franchise starring Oscar-winner Alicia Vikander in the titular role of a daughter off in search of her missing adventurer father on a remote island; and “Love, Simon” rated PG-13 and based on the bestselling novel, “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda” about Simon Spier, a closeted gay high schooler who is forced to balance his friends, family and the blackmailer threatening to out him to the entire school.
2. If you have a big sports fan in the house, you might not see him or her too much this weekend — March Madness kicks into gear Thursday, and there are a plethora of games scheduled through the weekend. First-round games are Thursday and Friday, and the second round takes place Saturday and Sunday. For schedules, brackets and more, check out www.ncaa.com.
3. Saturday is St. Patrick’s Day, so this whole weekend will be about celebrating it. If you’re a beer fan, head to your favorite pub (an Irish-themed one works well, of course) for some Guinness or Harp or another Irish favorite. You can also try some Irish food, or make your own at home. An easy dinner would be corned beef and cabbage and champ. Many towns hold parades and other special events for St. Patrick’s Day, so check the newspaper for listings.
4. You might not want to give up meat entirely, but why not try it for a day? Monday is the first day of spring and you can celebrate it by making it a Meatless Monday for The Great American Meatout. To find out how many animals a plant-based diet can save, check out https://meatout.org/our-impact/
5. What’s better than chocolate? Chocolate mixed with caramel! Monday is also National Chocolate Caramel Day and to celebrate make your favorite chocolate and caramel cookie, candy bar or cupcake. Wondering who came up with the combination? It’s said that Milton Hershey began his career at a caramel company and was looking for ways to improve caramel candy. His first product was a chocolate-covered caramel.