WAXAHACHIE - Residents were able to aid police in catching a suspected shoplifter from TJ Maxx last Thursday evening. In his attempt to flee the scene, Desoto resident Colby Tyrell Malone, 25, attempted to carjack three vehicles but was unsuccessful.

Waxahachie Police officers were dispatched at 5:09 p.m. to the 1600 block of U.S. Highway 77, near the Raising Cane’s Chicken restaurant, to a disturbance call.

“We got several 9-1-1 calls about a physical disturbance. One of the callers stated that a man had pulled a female out of a vehicle and then ran away on foot. When the officers got there they saw that a citizen had Malone pinned to the ground,” Waxahachie Police Lt. Todd Woodruff said. “Officers detained Malone and they were able to determine that he allegedly took some merchandise out of TJ Maxx without paying for it.”

Woodruff said when Malone left the store it triggered the security sensors in the door. This action caught the attention of another customer who started to shoot video of the incident. Malone was then observed going to the backside of McAlister’s Deli.

“There a witness said he approached a vehicle and actually pulled the female driver out of the car, but the car was also occupied by her husband and an infant child. The husband exited the passenger side of the car and confronted Malone,” Woodruff explained. “This made him flee over towards Raising Cain’s Chicken. When he got over to Cain’s he was seen trying to pull a female out of a car in the drive-thru at Cain’s. She was able to drive off before he was able to get her vehicle.”

Woodruff continued stating that Malone then allegedly approached a vehicle at the front of the restaurant and strikes the driver in the face with a fist.

“At that time the citizen that started filming all of this over at TJ Maxx intervenes. He holds Malone on the ground until the police got there. That guy received some injuries to his face,” Woodruff stated “Officers reported that his face was bleeding from struggling with Malone. He stated that Malone punched him in the face and the head.”

Woodruff said police are still working to identify the driver of the second vehicle who drove off and would like to speak to her about what she saw.

Medical Personnel from American Medical Response were dispatched to the scene. All the residents were checked out and not transported to the hospital. Malone advised medical personnel that he was not hurt and denied any request for medical attention.

Malone has been charged with aggravated robbery, robbery, and theft of property greater than or equal to $100 but less than $750. According to online records from the Wayne McCollum Detention Center Malone remains in custody as of 2 p.m. on Tuesday with bonds totaling $62,500.