FORRESTON – A Waco resident had to be taken by a medical helicopter to an area hospital after sustaining injuries from a two-vehicle accident on Thursday afternoon.

First responders were dispatched at 3:05 p.m. to southbound Interstate Highway 35E at the 395-mile marker to an accident involving a semi-truck and a pickup truck.

“What happened was they were coming to a stop and the 18-wheeler was in front. They were in the inside lane, which is the left lane,” Texas Department of Public Safety PIO Sgt. Sara Warren said. “The pickup truck failed to control speed and struck the back of the 18-wheeler.”

Warren stated that the driver of the 2006 GMC Sierra pickup truck, Louis Montoya, 46, was flown to Medical City Hospital in Arlington with serious injuries. The driver of the 2001 Kenworth semi-truck, Dallas resident Reinier-Barcaro, 34, was uninjured.

While in route to the call at about 3:10 p.m. an Emergency Services District No. 6 Volunteer Fire Department truck was involved in an accident.

“A different 18-wheeler was stopped in the left lane and the fire truck was going up the inside shoulder. He went to pass the 18-wheeler and misjudged the distance, failing to pass to the left safely,” Warren stated. “He ended up striking the rear of the trailer with the right side of the fire truck.”

Warren said the driver of the 2008 Peterbilt semi-truck, Irving resident Alvaro Sasvin-Arana, 52, and the driver of the fire truck, Italy resident Matthew Grimes, 32, were both uninjured.

Fire Chief Jake Escamilla, ESD 6, stated that both occupants of the fire truck were checked out at Baylor Scott and White Medical Center — Waxahachie. They were treated and released and have returned to duty. Escamilla stated that accident is going to be reviewed by the department. He noted that the fire truck sustained minor damage to a compartment and is out of service pending an evaluation by an insurance adjuster.

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Forreston Volunteer Fire Department along with troopers from DPS.

Warren said the highway reopened around 5 p.m. to regular traffic.

Follow Andrew on Facebook or on Twitter at Contact him at or 469-517-1451.