WAXAHACHIE — An Ellis County Grand Jury has indicted Waxahachie resident Lejonathan Edtas Cox Jr., 21 on the charge of aggravated robbery after he was arrested Jan. 12 by Midlothian Police.

According to the indictment issued March 22, Cox allegedly threatened or placed the three victims in fear of imminent bodily injury or death during a theft on Nov. 30. During the commission of the offense Cox reportedly exhibited a firearm.

In a March 12 Daily Light article, Waxahachie Police Department Lt. Todd Woodruff said a patrol officer received a call at 10:35 p.m. from the lobby of a building located at 200 N. Interstate Highway 35E on Nov. 30, 2016.

"Three persons there reported having just been robbed at gunpoint. They reported a laptop computer was stolen that they had been trying to sell on an online site. The three suspects are described as a Hispanic male with tattoos on his face, a black male and a white female. The two males were both armed with pistols," Woodruff said. "They left the scene together in a black SUV, possibly a black Jeep Cherokee that headed towards Interstate Highway 35. The victims met the suspects near the motel to sell them the computer after communicating with one of the suspects online."

Woodruff said Rowlett Police arrested the second suspect, Palmer resident Guadalupe Tomas Garcia, 25, on Dec. 5, 2016. Waxahachie Police Department detectives identified Garcia during the investigation. The Ellis County Grand Jury indicted Garcia on March 1.

Before the latestest offense, Cox was arrested by the Red Oak Police Department on the charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on Sept. 26, 2014.

According to online records from the Ellis County District Clerk's Office, Cox posted a $10,000 bond on Jan. 16 on the aggravated robbery charge. He is not listed as an inmate on the Wayne McCollum Detention Center website.


According to a Daily Light article published Sept. 27, 2014, Cox turned himself into police on Sept. 26, 2014, in connection with a shooting that took place on State Highway 342.

Police Officers responded to a shooting at 11:33 p.m. on Sept. 24, 2014, at the Whataburger Restaurant located at 123 S. State Highway 342 for what was initially dispatched as an attempted carjacking.

Officers determined from witnesses at the scene that a verbal and physical altercation had occurred between Cox and Red Oak teen Jacolby Foreman,18, and two women in the parking lot of Whataburger. The argument, determined to be about money, moved from the parking lot to the main lanes of State Highway 342 in a vehicle.

"The two, Jacolby and LeJonathan, and two females from Midlothian were just out riding around together. They were in Red Oak at the Whataburger, arguing about the money. The argument escalated into a shooting," David Justus, the Red Oak police officer in charge of the criminal investigation said previously. "One gunshot was fired inside the car. The car stopped and everyone exited. There were several more gunshots fired outside the car. The shooting actually occurred in the roadway on 342."

Justus said the dispute was over $120 owed to Foreman, and Foreman had asked Cox for the money. The money was a small debt that was owed, Justus said.

After the shooting, Foreman had exited the vehicle, fled on foot into the nearby Whataburger and collapsed onto the floor from multiple gunshot wounds. Foreman was transported to Methodist Central Hospital by ambulance and underwent emergency surgery. He sustained multiple wounds to his torso and arm.

The vehicle then fled the scene, and an immediate description was broadcasted to surrounding agencies. Police at Charlton Methodist Hospital located Cox with a single gunshot wound to his leg. It is believed the injury was accidentally inflicted during the shooting, according to a Red Oak Police Department press release. Cox was released from the hospital early Wednesday morning.

Cox was not arrested at the hospital because police didn't have all of the details about the incident and not all of the evidence had been evaluated, Justus said.

A warrant was issued and officers went to serve those to Cox Friday (Sep.26, 2014), Justus said. When officers arrived at the home, they found that he was not home. Justus said he talked to Cox's stepfather who told police that LeJonathan would be turning himself in later on Friday. Cox was accompanied by his mother and stepfather and turned himself in at 3:55 p.m. at the Red Oak Police Station located on Methodist Street.

According to online records from the Ellis County District Clerks Office, Cox was indicted on the aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge on Dec. 18, 2014. He pled guilty on Nov. 4, 2016, and was placed on deferred adjudication. Cox was given credit for 609 days in jail sentenced to seven years probation and 480 community service hours.


Follow Andrew on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at abranca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451.