WAXAHACHIE — An electrical malfunction in a hot tub was the cause of a fire that damaged a home, injured a resident and cost a family pet its life on Monday morning. First responders were initially were toned out to a call of a grass fire at about 10:50 a.m. in the 100 block of Breanna Way, but it was upgraded to a structure fire while en route.

"We got here and we had heavy smoke coming from the eves of the house with black smoking coming from the rear of the house," said Waxahachie Fire Department Battalion Chief Marcus Brown on the scene. "Our first truck to arrive on scene was truck No. 3. They went around back to knock out the main body fire.”

Brown said other firefighters arrived on scene the put out two additional hose lines and made entry through the front door. They were able to knock out a fire that was located in the rear bedroom.

“After that, we did a search of the home for occupants. The homeowner advised us that pets were still in the house. We found those two pets. One of those pets, unfortunately, was overcome by smoke and we were not able to revive it. The other pet is ok,” Brown said. “One resident did go in the ambulance to be checked out further. We had one (resident) checked out at the scene but decided not to got to the other hospital.”

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Waxahachie Police Department. Members of the Red Oak Fire Department filled in at station three to handle incoming emergency calls while firefighters were on scene.

Waxahachie Fire Marshal Dennis Crecelius said a passerby first spotted the fire. The passerby pulled the fence down because they thought it was a grass fire. After the segment of the fence was removed, they saw the hot tub and the back of the house on fire.

“It appears that the hot tub somehow malfunctioned. There is an electrical box there on the house and the hot tub. The one on the hot tub has just basically melted away. So there was some type of electrical malfunction in that box or somewhere in that hot tub,” Crecelius said. “The hot tub set a foot away from the house. As the wood deck that it was sitting on caught on fire, it got into the windows of the back of the house. Then up into the attic area.”

Crecelius said damage to the structure and its contents are estimated at $75,000 and are ruled as accidental in nature.

— Follow Andrew on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at andrew.branca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451