WAXAHACHIE — Sparks from a power tool were the cause of a fire that broke out in a residential garage. First responders were dispatched to a possible structure fire at about 4:30 p.m. located in the 200 block of N. Edgefield Road.
“Our guys made a quick attack and put it out very quickly and contained in within the garage and made a good stop on it,” Waxahachie Fire Chief Ricky Boyd said. “There were no injuries. There was nobody inside the house at the time that we arrived.”
Waxahachie Fire Marshal Dennis Crecelius said the cause of the fire was accidental in nature.
“The owner of the house had been in there grinding with a small type grinder with a battery pack. What appears happened is that sparks came off of it and got into a boat cover and he did not realize it,” Crecelius said. “He left to go get his daughter from school. When he came home, the garage was basically on fire.”
Crecelius said fire damage was contained to the garage with smoke damage to the attic area and other portions of the residence. Damage to property and contents is estimated at around $15,000.
— Follow Andrew on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or 469-517-1451.