(StatePoint) A mother’s work is challenging -- even after the kids are all grown up. So while flowers make a nice Mother’s Day gesture, consider going the extra mile.
Here are some great ways to give mom the day off.
Breakfast in Bed
Give Mom a welcome break from the kitchen. Start her day with breakfast in bed using this recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes with Orange Compote:
For the compote:
• 3 large oranges
• 2 teaspoons Bonne Maman Orange Marmalade
For the pancake batter:
• 4 tablespoons melted butter plus a little extra for the pan
• 1/2 cup buttermilk or whole milk
• 2 large eggs
• 1/4 cup superfine sugar
• Pinch salt
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 4 tablespoons Bonne Maman Orange Marmalade
• Cut the peel and pith away from two oranges and cut into neat segments. Drop into a small saucepan with the marmalade. Add the pared rind from the remaining orange, cut into long fine shreds, plus the juice. Put the pan over low heat and simmer gently for to 2 to 3 minutes.
• Meanwhile, whisk the melted butter into the milk with the eggs, sugar and salt.
• Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
• Heat a large, nonstick frying pan and brush with a little melted butter. Ladle the batter into the pan, allowing one ladle per pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Small bubbles will appear on the surface of the pancakes when they are ready to flip over.
• Stir the marmalade until smooth, then drizzle 1 tsp over the uncooked side of each pancake before turning. Continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before removing from the pan. Cover the cooked pancakes with a towel; this prevents them from drying out.
• Serve the pancakes in small stacks with one or two spoonfuls of compote on top.
Win Mom a Day Off
You may not have the budget to truly indulge mom, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to create the perfect day for her with a little help from Bonne Maman, maker of preserves and jellies. In their effort to wish every mom a happy Mother’s Day, they are hosting a national sweepstakes for moms to “Win a Day Off.”
By entering, you’ll give mom a chance to win $2,000 to spend on her deserved day off doing whatever makes her happy, plus $1,000 to share with someone she loves. The first 10,000 entrants receive a free sample of Bonne Maman plus a $2 coupon off their next purchase. To enter, visit www.BonneMaman.us.
Whether it’s a pedicure, massage or facial, your mom will appreciate the opportunity for total relaxation. Many spas offer gift certificates for particular services, so check out the options and find something just right for your mom. Mother’s Day can be a busy day for spas, so make it easy on her. Look for something close by and book her for a specific time so she doesn’t have to wait.
For a successful Mother’s Day, considering thanking Mom for a job well done by giving her a break.