A candle caused a fire that made employees and patients evacuate Kare Family Clinic on Monday afternoon.

Waxahachie firefighters received the call about the incident at 120 S. Grand Ave. at 2:20 p.m.

“Upon our arrival, all the patients were evacuated and we just found a small fire that was in the one of the private bathrooms in one of the offices,” said Randy Muirhead, the Waxahachie Fire Department Battalion Chief.

Those in the building saw fire coming out of the ceiling and were not sure where it was coming from, employee Jamie Northcutt said. After seeing the smoke, 9-1-1 was called and staff and patients were evacuated, Northcutt said.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control with a hand extinguisher five minutes after they arrived. Because of the quick knockdown, several incoming units were disregarded and returned to their stations.

Fire Marshal Dennis Crecelius said it appears a candle located on a sink in the bathroom started the fire.

“After talking with the people who were (there), a candle that was sitting on the sink fell off onto some boxes and caught (them) on fire,” Crecelius said. “There was just a little bit of fire damage and smoke damage to the bathroom. As far as the rest of the building, everything is OK.”

Damage from the fire is estimated at $10,000, Crecelius said. No injuries were reported.