A late night fire left four residents without a home Monday. Emergency crews were dispatched at 11:31 p.m. to the 900 block of Creekview Dr.

“They had fire showing through the roof in the back part of the house. Once they got inside the house and did a primary search, the interior of the house was clear,” Waxahachie Battalion Chief Randy Muirhead said. “All the occupants were out.”

Muirhead said the fire then spread from the back porch to the attic space of the brick home. To gain access to the fire, firefighters pulled down the ceiling. They were then able to attack the fire and the fire was brought under control at about 12:03 a.m. The origin of the fire appears to be at the back porch area around the ceiling, Muirhead said. Crews were able to halt the progression of the fire and prevent it from advancing to the front of the structure, Muirhead said.

Waxahachie Fire Marshal Dennis Crecelius said a heating lamp on the porch started the fire.

“The heat lamp that was used to keep the dog warm actually caught the doghouse on fire,” Crecelius said. “It then caught the house on fire, which spread into the house.”

Crecelius said the fire was ruled as accidental in nature and estimates the damage to property and contents at about $90,000.

Members of the Midlothian Fire Department were called for assistance to fill in at Station One to handle any incoming emergency calls, while firefighters were out on the call. No residents or firefighters were injured. Oncor was called out to the scene to disconnect the power from the structure. The American Red Cross was called out to provide assistance to the residents.

Units cleared the scene and returned to the station at 1:20 a.m. Tuesday.