PALMER – Firefighters saved a puppy during an early morning fire that damaged a mobile home Monday. Emergency crews were dispatched at about 3 a.m to the 300 block of Willow Creek Road.

“Upon arrival the homeowner said there was still one animal left inside. We went in twice looking for this animal. Obviously we were putting out the fire too,” Palmer Fire Chief Kevin Rhodes said. “After it was all said and done, and we knocked down the bulk of the fire and everything was squared away, they actually found the puppy in the bathroom. It was probably on the third time that they had found it.”

Rhodes said the fire was coming from the back of the doublewide mobile home and heavy smoke and fire was showing when crews first arrived on scene. The three residents had already evacuated from the home before firefighters arrived.

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Ennis, Ferris and Bristol fire departments. Shuttle operations were conducted with water tankers to bring water from a fire hydrant. Paramedics from East Texas EMS were also called out to the scene in a standby capacity.

“It appears that it started inside a back wall, right next to the back door in the utility room. Most likely it was a defective electrical outlet,” Ellis County Fire Marshal Joe Stewart said. “They said that they had trouble with that outlet in the past and that it had quit working. That is where the fire started and I am thinking that it had some type of short circuit there. As far as what caused it, I can’t tell you.”

Stewart said the damage to the model home and content lost is estimated at about $50,000. The fire was ruled an electrical fire that was accidental in nature.

Members of the American Red Cross were called out the scene to provide assistance to the residents. No injuries were reported. The fire was brought under control at about 4 a.m. Units cleared the scene and returned to the station at 6:41 a.m.