Three residents were displaced from a fire that started in the kitchen of their home in the 1000 block of Waterford Crossing at 6:45 p.m.

“When we got on scene the homeowner had pulled a water hose inside and started to try to put it out, but did not get it extinguished fully. Our crews got there and started to do a search and looked to see where the fire (had spread),” Emergency Service District Fire Chief Gavin Satterfield said. “They pulled the wall back and pulled the cabinets down and put out the rest of the fire in the wall. We checked the upstairs. They had a lot of heat in the second story, but we didn’t find any extension (signs that the fire had spread) up there – just heat.”

Satterfield said the fire stated in the dishwasher and the fire was contained to the kitchen, which sustained moderate to heavy damage. During the call firefighters shut off the water to the home to reduce water damage and Oncor disconnected the power to the home. The Maypearl and Forreston Fire Departments were put on standby during the call, in case they were needed to cover for ESD 6 on another call. Once crews got on scene and assessed the situation they were disregarded.

Ellis County Fire Marshal Joe Stewart said the residents were not at home when the fire started. When they returned they discovered the dishwasher on fire and the house full of smoke.

“They extinguished most of the fire prior to the arrival of the fire department. The resident (who battled the fire) was checked at the scene by fire and EMS personnel for smoke inhalation, but they were not transported to the hospital,” Stewart said. “Upon arrival firefighters completed the extinguishment of the fire and ensured that it did not spread beyond the kitchen.”

Stewart said the resident and firefighters rescued three dogs but another dog died during the fire. The fire was determined to be accidental in nature. The first floor received heavy water damage from broken water pipes. Damage to property and contents are estimated at $30,000. Also providing assistance on the scene were members of East Texas EMS. Fire crews were on scene for about two hours before returning to the station.