The Waxahachie soccer teams had a busy two days of tournament games.

Both the boys and girls squads took part in the Moritz Kia Tournament of Champions in Aledo on Thursday and Friday. Each team won their first game of the tournament, but neither could get wins in their second attempt.

The event featured a pair of three-team divisions that saw each squad play the other teams in its division. Both the Waxahachie boys and girls were in a division with Crowley and Aledo.

On Thursday night, the boys dominated their first game of the tournament against Crowley and coasted to a 4-0 victory. Waxahachie got a shutout out of goal Miguel Munoz, who has been steady in his first season as the team’s starter.

The offense was led by the senior trio of Matthew Berning, Meny Garcia and Ivan Anaya as they had a role in the team’s scoring.

The team tried to build on that momentum Friday afternoon when it had to face the tournament hosts, Aledo. Waxahachie got off to a slow start and trailed 2-0 at the half. The team played better in the second half and controlled possession throughout, but managed just one goal.

Aledo’s first goal came off a short rebound on a breakaway. The first Bearcat took a shot on Munoz, who made a great save, but he couldn’t recover in time to stop the second attempt. Aledo’s second goal came on a defensive breakdown by Waxahachie. The Indians couldn’t react quick enough to stop the Bearcat attack and it led to a pretty easy short goal.

Halftime is just five minutes long in this tournament, so the team didn’t have long to regroup before the final 35 minutes. Whatever it did worked as Waxahachie controlled possession throughout the second half, but only managed one goal.

It was a beautiful goal as Garcia sent a free kick from about 35 yards out into the box and Berning finished it with his head.

The Indians had a pair of breakaways that saw shots sail just high or just wide, another breakaway that saw the Aledo goalie make a diving save and another short free kick from Garcia, but it was denied by another save. That final free kick was just inches from being a penalty kick for Waxahachie. It looked like Anaya was tripped in the box, but it was ruled that he was tripped into the box, resulting in the free kick.

Despite the big opening round win, the loss in the second game sent the Indians to the third place game Saturday. See how the team fared in the Tuesday issue of the Waxahachie Daily Light.

The girls only managed one goal in their two games of the tournament, but still found a way into the championship.

The Lady Indians played a double-header on Friday and got their only goal in the first five minutes of the day. Aeriel Horton lined up for a corner kick and sent the ball into the box where Mackenzie Posey finished with a great kick.

Horton has definitely impressed so far this year as she has become the designated corner kicker for the team. She didn’t have that job at the beginning of the year, but she served up one perfect one in a warm before a game last week and hasn’t stopped sending great attempts into the box for her teammates.

That was the only goal of Waxahachie’s 1-0 win against Aledo. The Lady Bearcats didn’t get too much of an offensive threat thanks to great defensive performances from Hailey David, Marybeth Martin, Mica Mottla and freshman Belle Prachyl. Their great day forced goalie Elizabeth Gish to make just one save.

Those same players stepped up defensively in the second game, which ended in a 0-0 draw against Crowley. Waxahachie’s offense, led by senior Tierney Thomison, mustered 26 shots, but couldn’t find the net in the tie.

The team advanced to the championship game of the tournament Saturday night against Fort Worth Arlington Heights. See how the team fared on

The Waxahachie boys (3-2-1) and girls (3-1-2) will both be in action again Tuesday in Kennedale. The girls will play first at 5:30 p.m. and the boys will follow at 7:30 p.m.