Two Waxahachie residents were displaced by a house fire in the 100 block of Becky Lane on Thursday night.

Emergency Service District No. 6 Fire Chief Gavin Satterfield said when he arrived on scene he saw a light glow coming through the front kitchen window and smoke coming through the roof. When fire crews arrived they surveyed the scene and used a firehose to extinguish the fire in the kitchen.

Prior to the arrival of emergency crews both residents had made it out safely and were across the street. Electricity to the home was cut to prevent any short circuits and secondary fires.

Satterfield said crews were able to get a quick attack on the fire and contain it within the kitchen. The kitchen suffered moderate to heavy fire damage. The rest of the structure suffered smoke damage.

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Red Oak Fire Department and deputies with the Ellis County Sheriff’s Office who provided traffic control. Official’s with the Ellis County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the cause of the fire to have been a grease fire.