A power line fire on a Dunn Street utility pole created a power outage Thursday afternoon, right in the heart of the production cycle for Fridayís Waxahachie Daily Light.

With limited access to the newspaperís server ó and no power to the press ó we enacted our emergency operation plan to ensure the paper was produced and delivered on time.

First of all, we want to extend our heartfelt appreciation to Oncor Electric. They were on scene within minutes after the incident was reported and worked throughout the night to repair the damaged line, restoring power shortly before midnight.

It was an answered prayer for all of us to return to work Friday morning and have the lights, the phones working and the computer systems back online and functioning at normal capacity.

When the fire occurred mid-afternoon Thursday, the newsroom was right in the middle of building pages, editing stories and photos ó in general, putting everything together for the Friday edition.

Using laptops, iPads, cellphones and flash drives ó and often working with just the emergency lights ó the team did a remarkable job of getting the paper together, on time while having very limited access to the server where all of our stories and photos are stored.

I am very proud of this team. While it was extremely challenging, they came through to make sure that we didnít miss a deadline. Aaron Schwaderer, Melissa Cade, Billy Wessels, Andrew Branca and Shelly Conlon, you are the best. I told you we could produce a newspaper with a typewriter if we had to. Thankfully, it didnít come to that. You all are truly the best and Iím extremely proud of you.

Once the news team finished building the pages, we sent the PDFs to our sister paper in Brownwood where our Friday edition was printed. We greatly appreciate the Brownwood Bulletinís press crew for finding a spot for us on their Thursday night printing schedule as well as their distribution department for meeting us halfway in Stephenville.

I also want to thank Josh DeVore for driving our truck to Stephenville in the fog and bringing our papers back to Waxahachie, making it to our distribution center in time for the carrier crews to have our papers delivered to our home subscribers and news stands early Friday morning.

Though it was a challenging Thursday afternoon and evening, everyone pulled together to make sure we didnít miss a beat.

Thank you again for a job well done. And thank you again Oncor for getting the power restored as quickly as possible. We are blessed to have such a dedicated team of men and women serving our community.