Talk about starting your season off on the right foot.

It took just 30 seconds for the Lady Indians to score their first goal of the 2014 season and it didn’t take much longer to pile on as they won their first game of the season 15-0 against Quinlan.

“I was anticipating a better game, but we got an opportunity to give everybody playing time,” Waxahachie coach Jason Venable said. “We just took care of business and we were able to get some good work in the second half and do some things we hadn’t normally been doing.”

Just a half minute into the season, senior forward Tierney Thomison sent a crossing pass into the box and Millie Atkins touched it into the net to get Waxahachie off to a right start.

That was the first of Thomison’s three assists in the first six minutes. Her other two assists went to Mackenzie Posey and Atkins again. Just three minutes later, the reigning district MVP scored her first goal of the season.

“We knew they weren’t the strongest team, but we didn’t expect to be that far ahead of them, Thomison said of Quinlan. “I think it’s the work we’ve put in though. We worked really hard this offseason to get the chemistry that we do have and it’s starting to pay off. We will really see tomorrow though.”

This was the first game of the Waxahachie 287 Tournament and with the victory, the Lady Indians advance to play at 3 p.m. Friday at Lumpkins Stadium against either Mansfield Summit or Dallas Woodrow Wilson.

The victory against Quinlan was a good confidence boost for the team as just about everybody got involved in the scoring. Ariana Acosta and Jasenda Ferguson got their first career varsity goal and veterans Karleigh Hector and Marybeth Martin scored their first goals of the year.

The most impressive shot of the match was a buzzer-beater from near midfield by Aeriel Horton. With time ticking down under nine seconds left, Quinlan was called for a foul 40 yards from the goal. Horton ran up and booted the ball and it went through the goal keeper’s hands and found the back of the net just as the buzzer sounded to end the half. That was the Lady Indians’ dozenth goal of the half.

With that cozy of a lead, the team was able to just work on passing and running different formations after the game was put away.

“We spread the field a little bit and worked on some things that we hadn’t been doing in games,” Venable said. “The first half turned into a avalanche of goals and at halftime it can be hard to keep that momentum going again. In the second half we turned off the scoreboard to show that it didn’t matter even when they scored.”

Just getting practical game experience, even if it is against a sub-par opponent is huge for a team that will be playing six freshmen and sophomores this year.

“We’ve got so many young girls that don’t have much time on the varsity level,” Venable said. “I told them it’s going to be a lot harder after this. Summit will be good and there’s other good competition in the tournament.”

Marisol Chavez scored a hat trick and Elizabeth Gish pitched a shut out in her first game as the starting goal keeper.

The Lady Indians (1-0) will finish up the tournament Saturday and will play an indivudial game at 7 p.m. Monday in Stephenville before a tournament in Aledo next weekend.