MAYPEARL – Maypearl Police Officer Chris Amos came to the aid of a family whose house was on fire Tuesday. Recovering from an injury, he rushed into the burning structure (and possibly into ammunition firing due to the heat) and rescued their pet dog from the blaze.

Maypearl first responders were dispatchers at about 6:30 p.m. to the fire located at a residence in the 300 block of Noble Street in Maypearl.

“I was actually at the store when this happened. I am injured and I am not supposed to be working, but when this call came through I came,” Amos said. “I arrived here and saw that the kitchen was completely engulfed. They had most of the animals out and they were struggling with the bigger dog. So I help her carry it out and away from the fire.”

Amos said after rescuing the dog he helped the homeowner move their vehicle away from the residence. At the time of call Amos was on light duty with the department due to an injury to his foot and was wearing a medical boot when he provided assistance.

Maypearl Police Chief Kevin Coffey said he is proud of the actions that Amos provided in helping to assist the residents at the scene. Coffey said when he arrived on scene there were flames coming out of the side door of the one-story, brick residence.

Ellis County Assistant Fire Marshal Joshua Hibschman said firefighters were able to get a good stop on the fire.

“I talked to the homeowner and they were heating up a pot of grease and walked away from it. When they came back pulled the lid off of it, it was on fire,” Hibschman said. “She flung the pot of grease everywhere and it spread the fire. She tried to put it out, which caused a small first degree burn. It is ruled as an accidental fire.”

Hisbchman said the fire spread through the kitchen and into the living room, both of which sustained heavy fire damage. The remaining portions of the residence suffered smoke and water damage. Property damage and loss of possessions is estimated at more than $50,000.

Three of the five residents were at home at the time of the fire. Two of the three residents were transported by ground ambulance, one with burns and the other with a respiratory issue, to Baylor Medical Center of Waxahachie. Paramedics treated Coffey at the scene for smoke inhalation that he received from assisting fire crews.

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Emergency Service District No. 6 Volunteer Fire Department.