Indians intercept first win, 21-14

By TOMMY BROWN/Daily Light Sports Editor

Waxahachie got the win it was desperately looking for Friday, but it was not an easy one.

The Indians trailed twice and needed an interception by Gary Mason with 3:24 left in the game to seal a 21-14 win over Denison.

“It was awfully big for us to come out in our first home game and get a win,” Indian head coach David Ream said. “We just needed some momentum and to get some big plays, and finally, there at the end of the game, we got some.”

Waxahachie’s defense also came up with a big stop midway through the fourth quarter when Denison tried a fake field goal on fourth-and-two from the 23-yard line. The Indians stopped the Yellowjackets for a 2-yard loss and then went 75 yards on nine plays for the go-ahead touchdown.

Boomer Collins also intercepted a pass with less than two minutes to play in the first half with Denison sitting on the Indians’ 36-yard line.

Waxahachie’s defense limited Denison to only three plays of 15 yards or more.

“We were putting a lot of pressure on the quarterback,” Mason said of the Indians’ effort. “We needed that, we needed a confidence boost.”

Neither team’s offense could find a rhythm early on as the team’s combined for just five first downs in the first quarter.

Most of those first downs came on Denison’s final drive of the quarter, when the Yellowjackets converted three on their way to their first score of the night.

A 26-yard pass from Eric Chavez to Cody Reeves put Denison at the 2-yard line. Chavez scored on a 2-yard run two plays later, giving Denison a 7-0 lead with 1.2 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

Waxahachie got on the board midway through the second quarter after the defense forced Denison to punt from just outside its end zone.

Collins led the Indians on a five-play, 45-yard drive that culminated in a 2-yard run by Hestand Foster that tied the game at 7-7 with 5:15 to play in the first half.

Denison returned the favor by taking the opening possession of the second half and marching 56 yards on eight plays. The Yellowjackets took a 14-7 lead with 8:39 left in the third quarter.

After Waxahachie was forced to punt on its first possession of the second half, the Yellowjackets were pinned deep in their own territory after a sack by Mason and Justin O’Brien, and another tackle by Mason that resulted in a loss of six yards.

The Indians took advantage of the good field position after a 29-yard punt and wasted little time in getting the ball into the end zone.

On fourth-and-nine from the 27-yard line, Collins found Sam Gagliano in the middle of the field for a 16-yard gain. Three plays later, he hit Ryan Wilson for a 14-yard touchdown pass.

Waxahachie stopped the Yellowjackets’ fake field goal attempt on their next drive. Once the Indians got the ball back, Dezarius Jackson took a reverse 38 yards to move the ball to the Denison 37-yard line.

On third-and-five from the 17-yard line Collins connected with Roderick Jefferson for a 16-yard gain before Collins scored the go-ahead touchdown from 1 yard out with 4:14 to play.

Mason then intercepted a pass on the Yellowjackets’ next drive, allowing the Indians to run out the clock. The game was not sealed until Dominique Carson scampered 18 yards on a fourth-and-two play with 1:35 to play.

The Indians play host to University next week. The Trojans are 1-1 on the season after beating Lampasas 28-14 Friday.