It was cold and miserable outside George W. Solis Gymnasium Friday night, and the first half play of the Red Oak Lady Hawks and the Waxahachie Lady Indians reflected the weather.

It appeared both teams thought they were outside as play was slow, lethargic and sloppy in the first half.

Red Oak took a 14-12 lead into the locker room at the half as fans yawned and stretched during the intermission.

“We played with zero intensity in the first half,” Waxahachie coach Lesli Priebe said.

“We had no energy, no intensity,” Priebe said of the opening two quarters that saw her team score six points in each period.

Going into the locker room Priebe was hard pressed on what to say to her team to energize them.

“I finally just said that the scoreboard reflects the way you are playing. It shows your lackof intensity and lack of energy. It is reflected right there for everyone to see. You are going to be on your own in the second half. I hope you have enough pride to go out and win this game,” Priebe said of her halftime pep talk.

Waxahachie tied the score in the opening seconds of the third period when Amanda Mangan hit a short jumper in the lane.

Neither team would score over the next 1 1/2 minutes until Shaquille Davis hit the front end of a pair of charity tosses to give  the lead.

Red Oak responded with a free thrown and then a bucket by  to take the lead at 17-15 with 4:28 to play in the third period.

Brittanya Sterns pulled down an offensive rebound and got the basket to knot the game once again.

After calling a time out, Waxahachie returned to the court using a half court trapping defense.

Red Oak had all kind of problems committing six consecutive turnovers, while Waxahachie went on a 7-0 run to close out the period.

Three minutes elapsed in the fourth quarter before either team got on the scoreboard. Briana Jordan hit her first points of the night with a long range trey, as she scored all seven of her points in the final five minutes of the game.

Mangan hit a jump shot in the paint to give the Tribe a 29-19 lead with 3:45 to play.

Red Oak responded with a trey from Symone Jackson, a free throw and a bucket from Lauren Stewart cut the lead to 29-25 with a little over two minutes to play in the game.

A foul call sent Briana Jordan to the line for a one-and-one, making both.

Red Oak was called for a travel, one of seven on the evening, to turn the ball back to the Waxahachie offens.

Trailing 31-25 Red Oak began to foul to stop the clock.

Briana Jordan made the first of a one-and-one, but missed the second for a 32-25 lead with 1:30 to play.

Red Oak was again whistled for travelling. Mangan made a layup followed by a Red Oak trey with 32 seconds to play.

The game ended with Waxahachie going to the line for a pair of free throws to hold on for the 36-38 victory.

“You have to five Red Oak credit. They are very scrappy. They play hard and do a good job,”  Priebe said. “We are glad to get the win.”

Waxahachie will have a bye on Tuesday, while Red Oak will travel to Lancaster.