DALLAS – The Red Oak Hawks participated in the Dallas

ISD Coca-Cola Classic Tournament this week and they were able to

come out with a pair of hard-fought victories.

It took a big second half for the Hawks to get the

win in the first round against Dallas Pinkston.

Red Oak trailed by nine at halftime, but 23 third

quarter points helped the Hawks take the lead. Pinkston came out

cold in the third quarter and was outscored 23-10 in the frame.

The Hawks continued to expose the Pinkston defense

with 20 points in the fourth quarter. Luke Eubank led all scorers

with 16 points. Dexter Payne scored 14 and Jeremiah Gaines added 13

to help clinch the win.

In the second game of the tournament, the Hawks

played an always tough Lancaster Tiger team. Red Oak (11-4, 4-0 in

15-4A) managed to keep it close the majority of the game, but the

Tigers proved to be too much and outlasted the Hawks 73-59

Red Oak outshot the Tigers the entire game, but the

Tigers used their height advantage and athleticism to control the

boards and turned every possession into a three shot


The Hawks got off to a fast start in the opening

minutes of the game jumping out to an early 11-3 lead bolsterd by

Luke Eubanks’ hot hand, who nailed consecutive three-pointers and

two big blocks on the opposite end of the court.

The Hawks managed to control the tempo of the first

period and were able to get past the aggressive press of the Tigers

and closed the period extending their lead to seven, which was

their largest of the game.

It didn’t take long for the Tigers to recover in the

second quarter as they scored 13 quick points to tie the game early

in the frame.

The Tigers turned up their full-court press a few

notches swarming to every Hawk player and were able to force

turnover after turnover, which led to several fast break points

and  Lancaster taking a 61-49 lead into the half.

Lancaster picked up right where it left off in the

third period scoring six unanswered points, before Eubanks stopped

the run by nailing a three-pointer.

For a moment, it looked like the momentum was going

to change in the Hawks favor when Dexter Payne scored seven

consecutive points for Red Oak cutting the lead to 55-49.

The momentum didn’t last long for the Hawks, who

watched the Tigers sprint up and down the court for six quick

points and ran into the fourth quarter trailing 61-49.

Red Oak’s Dantay Blanton came alive in the fourth

quarter matching the Tigers offensive baskets with two dazzling

drives to the basket and a three-pointer to cut the lead to eight,

but that was as close as Red Oak would come when Lancaster ended on

a 6-0 run.

The game was the first of three meetings for the two

teams, as they face off again next Friday night in district


In the finale for Red Oak, the Hawks took on Dallas

Bryan Adams and came out on top 50-46.

The team jumped out to a big first quarter lead and

was up 15-6 going into the second frame.

But the third quarter was pretty much the opposite,

as Adams outscored Red Oak 17-8 to take a seven-point lead into the


A 21-point fourth quarter and timely stops led to the

victory. Gaines led the team with 12 points as eight different

Hawks scored in the game.

Red Oak takes the court again at 7 p.m. Jan. 3 at

home against West Mesquite in a game for first place  in 15-4A.


Sports editor Billy Wessels contributed to this