BURLESON – After a handful of practices, the Lady Indian soccer team had the chance to line up against unfamiliar faces Friday night in Burleson.

Neither team was able to find the back of the net as the team’s tied 0-0 in Waxahachie’s first scrimmage of the season.

“It was nice to play someone we don’t know, but it was kind of a scary feeling because we still don’t know what we have,” Waxahachie coach Jason Venable said. “We lost so many from last year, so we’re trying to figure out what we’ve got.”

The team hasn’t had more than a week of practice yet so the rust showed a little in the first half as the Lady Indians only had two shots on goal.

Burleson definitely had the edge on scoring chances in the first half, but senior goalie Sarah Hay thwarted every Lady Elk effort.

Burleson’s best scoring chance came on a corner kick with five minutes left in the first half when a point blank shot hit Hay in the chest to keep the score tied.

Venable said Burleson had the edge in corner kicks and that was something his team wasn’t prepared for.

“We haven’t worked on a corner kick or defended one all year and they had a ton of those,” Venable said. “We were lucky because they didn’t do a good job attacking on the corners. I usually don’t work on those until early January.”

In the second half, Waxahachie had a couple chances to score, but some of the shots were from distance and sometimes Burleson’s defense kept the Lady Indians from getting a really good look.

Tierney Thomison and Marybeth Martin both blasted shots from 15 yards out, but right into the goalie’s stomach.

Thomison had another shot to score off a crossing pass from Millie Atkins when the goalie bobbled the shot, but she was able to recover in time to clear the ball.

With less than eight minutes left in the game, sophomore Karleigh Hector ripped a beautiful pass between a trio of Lady Elk defenders right to Martin, who dribbled then fed Lindsey Williams on a golden scoring opportunity, but she couldn’t get a clean shot off.

Venable liked what he saw out of most of his team, but Martin and Thomison definitely stood out to him.

“Everybody got about a half a game so there were times that girls we know are going to be reserves got a lot of minutes and that made me a little nervous,” Venable said. “But they stepped up to the challenge and did a good job so I’m somewhat pleased with what I saw, but there are definitely things we need to work on.”

The team’s next scrimmage is Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Kennedale.

The boy’s team will play its first scrimmage of the year just before that at 5:30 p.m. The JV boys will scrimmage at 4:30 p.m.

Contact Billy at b.wessels@wninews.com or 469-517-1454.