Firefighters responded to a grass fire at about 4 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of Hibiscus, behind a row of townhomes.
“The man was barbecuing out back and the wind blew the barbecue (grill) over,” Waxahachie Fire Department Battalion Chief Gary Myers said. “The coals came out and set the grass on fire. It burned up probably an area of 200 feet by 50 feet worth of grass. The grass was cut short so it stayed out of the buildings and didn’t damage anything but grass.
“The people were running inside grabbing pitchers of water to try to put it out. They just didn’t have enough water to do it. They were working diligently at it but the wind was blowing fast enough that it was really pushing it. Once we arrived with the hose the fire went right out.”
Myers said firefighters were able to use the water that was in the engine and didn’t have to hook up to a hydrant. Fire crews were at the scene for about 15 minutes before returning to the station.
Contact Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org or 469-517-1458.