1. The following four rainfall totals are the correct totals that I recorded for the last four months, March, April, May and June. Can you match the correct total with the correct month? (a) only 0.86 of an inch (b) 8.40 inches (c) 10.27 inches (d) 11.25 inches
2. Can you guess the weather conditions that I recorded last year, July 4, 2006? (a) low temperature 77 degrees; high temperature 102 degrees. Fair and hot. (b) low 79 degrees; high 106 degrees. Clear and scorching hot. (c) low 68 degrees; high only 88 degrees. Mostly cloudy and warm. (d) low 73 degrees; high 96 degrees. Partly cloudy to cloudy and warm. From 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. I recorded 2.00 inches of rain in a 45-minute period and 1.80 inches of that fell in the first 30 minutes.
3. During the last 33 years, what’s the coolest temperature that I have recorded in the month of July? (a) 61 degrees (b) 65 degrees (c) 68 degrees (d) 71 degrees.
4. During the last 33 years, the driest July that I recorded is July 1993. Can you guess the total rainfall that dry July? (a) I did not record any rainfall all month (b) only 0.51 of an inch (c) 0.71 of an inch (d) 0.91 of an inch.
5. I recorded 11.25 inches of rain in June 2007. During the last 33 years, what’s the most rainfall that I have recorded in a month? (a) 11.25 inches (b) 12.84 inches (c) 13.15 inches (d) 14.41 inches
Weather Highlights for June 2007:
June 17 - Father’s Day 2007 started out wet. At 8 a.m., a thunderstorm with heavy rain. I recorded 1.10 inches in one hour between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. The total rainfall was 1.75 inches. The low temperature was 69 degrees and the high only 79 degrees.
June 26 -Heavy rains. I recorded 1.75 inches of rain from 2:05 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. only a 40 minute period. I recorded 1.60 inches of that during the first 30 minutes. At 2:50 p.m. I had recorded 1.80 inches. More rain fell in the evening and night, 0.70 of an inch, for a total of 2.50 inches.
June 28 - I recorded measurable rain the last eight days, June 21-28, a total of 6.50 inches of rain.
June 30 - I recorded 11.25 inches of rain during June 2007, or 7.39 inches above normal. It’s the second wettest June that I have recorded during the last 34 years of keeping weather observations in Ennis. The wettest that I have recorded is June 1981 with 11.46 inches of rain.
January through June 2007, I recorded 36.41 inches of rain or 14.69 inches above normal.
The coolest temperature that I recorded In June 2007 was 64 degrees on June 5. The warmest was 94 degrees on June 11, 12, 13 and 19. The average temperature for June 2007 was 79.4 degrees or 1.0 degrees below normal.
In summary, June 2007 was above normal on rainfall and below normal on the average temperature. It rained, and rained and rained some more.
Ennis Temperatures and Rainfall for the week of July 2-8, 2007:
The normal low temperature for this time of year is 74 degrees. The normal high temperature for this time of year is 95 degrees.
Monday, July 2 - low temperature 73 degrees, high temperature 88 degrees. Rainfall - 0.14 of an inch.
Tuesday, July 3 - low temperature 74 degrees; high temperature 88 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Wednesday, July 4 - low temperature 72 degrees; high temperature 84 degrees. Rainfall - 0.57 of an inch.
Thursday, July 5 - low temperature 72 degrees; high temperature 75 degrees. Rainfall - 0.79 of an inch.
Friday, July 6 - low temperature 71 degrees; high temperature 83 degrees. Rainfall - 0.94 of an inch.
Saturday, July 7 - low temperature 73 degrees; high temperature 91 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Sunday, July 8 - low temperature 74 degrees; high temperature 88 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Temperature Range and Total Rainfall for the Week of July 2-8, 2007:
The coolest temperature 71 degrees on July 6. The warmest temperature 91 degrees on July 7. Total rainfall July 2-8 - 2.44 inches.
Rainfall for month and Year:
Rainfall July 1-8 - 2.63 inches. Normal rainfall for all of July - 1.93 inches. Rainfall so far this year, January through July 8 - 39.04 inches. Normal rainfall January through all of July - 23.65 inches.
Weather Flashbacks for July 2-8:
July 2, 1998 - low temperature 80 degrees; high temperature 103 degrees. Partly cloudy and very hot.
July 3, 1996 - low temperature 77 degrees; high temperature 103 degrees. Partly cloudy and very hot.
July 3, 2005 - low temperature 75 degrees; high temperature 102 degrees. Clear and very hot.
July 5, 1990 - low temperature 77 degrees; high temperature 100 degrees. Fair to cloudy with 0.55 of an inch of rain.
July 5, 1996 - low temperature 74 degrees; high temperature 103 degrees. Fair and very hot.
July 8, 1978 - low temperature 78 degrees; high temperature 104 degrees. Clear and very hot.
July 8, 1996 - low temperature 80 degrees; high temperature 103 degrees. Partly cloudy and very hot.
This Week’s Small Texas Town Salute:
Peyton - population 30, located in Blanco County in the Hill Country.
Ridings - population 10, located in Fannin County in north Texas.
Seaton - population 60, located in Bell County in central Texas.
Truscott - population 50, located in Knox County in west Texas.
White Oak - population 100, located in Titus County in east Texas.
Arcadia - population 20, located in Shelby County in east Texas.
Big Valley - population 35, located in Mills County in west central Texas.
Answers to this Week’s Weather Quiz:
1. A - 0.86 of an inch is the total rainfall that I recorded for April (b) 8.40 inches - May (c) 10.27 inches - March (d) 11.25 inches - June. How about those rainfall totals.
2. D - The weather conditions I recorded last July 4, 2006, in Ennis were the low temperature 73 degrees; high temperature 96 degrees. Partly cloudy and warm. From 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. I recorded 2.00 inches of rain in a 45 minute period and 1.80 inches of that fell in the first 30 minutes.
3. A - The coolest temperature that I recorded during the last 33 years in July is 61 degrees on July 8, 1983, and July 14, 1990.
4. A - During the last 33 years, the driest July that I have recorded is July 1993 which had no rainfall at all. You can’t have a drier month than that.
5. C - The month with the most rainfall that I have recorded during the last 33 years is September 1976 which had a total of 13.15 inches of rain. The first three days of September 1976 had 10.85 inches of rain, and 8.25 inches of that fell on Sept. 1, 1976.