LANCASTER - One of three suspects involved in a burglary and subsequent police chase will remain hospitalized overnight as a result of injuries suffered as he attempted to flee authorities.

The incident began at about 10:12 a.m. when Waxahachie police were contacted by a resident reporting a burglary at a home in the Hunters Pass subdivision by Lake Waxahachie.

“We did have a citizen who saw the burglary taking place and he was able to keep us informed as we headed in that direction,” Waxahachie Police Chief Chuck Edge said, saying the witness provided a description of the suspect vehicle. “Our officers saw the vehicle as they were responding, so we turned around on it and tried to affect a stop. That’s when the pursuit started.”

The chase went from Howard Road to U.S. Highway 77 and into the northbound lanes of Interstate 35E, with additional agencies, including the Ellis County Sheriff’s Office, joining in the pursuit.

The suspect vehicle continued at a high rate of speed, going in and out of traffic, sheriff’s Capt. Danny Williams said, noting that after the chase entered the construction area by Pleasant Run Road, the suspect vehicle rammed a sheriff’s patrol unit on the passenger side, knocking it into a brick wall.

Both vehicles came to a stop at that time, with two of the three suspects - a male and a female - taken into custody at the scene.

Edge said the third suspect was injured as he attempted to flee by jumping off of an overpass. The injured male, who is believed to be the driver of the suspect vehicle, was transported to the hospital, where he is being held overnight for observation of non-life-threatening injuries, Edge said, noting the man is under guard.

Names and charges were not immediately available for release pending the suspects’ arraignment.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Jeremy Osteen, who was driving the unit that was rammed, also was transported to the hospital after complaining of hip pain, with Williams saying he has since been treated and released.

E-mail JoAnn at