Residual heat from soldering pipes sparked a fire at residence in the 900 block of South College Street Friday afternoon causing damages estimated at $25,000.

Battalion Chief Jeff Alexander said smoke was coming out from underneath the eaves all the way around the house when crews arrived on scene. Firefighters performed a primary and secondary search of the structure, which turned up clear. Alexander said attacking the fire was difficult due to the narrow access crawl space in the attic.

At the time of the fire the home was vacant. No injures were reported from firefighters working the scene. Oncor was called out to the scene to disconnect the power and pull the electric meter.

Fire marshal Dennis Crecelius said the fire was the result of workers soldering and placing caps on pipes that would no longer be used. The fire started beneath the kitchen sink and traveled up the wall into the attic.

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Red Oak Fire Department who filled in at station three while crews were out on the call.

No damage was reported from any neighboring structures and the fire was ruled accidental in nature.

Contact Andrew at andrew.branca@wninews.com or 469-517-1451.