DALLAS – Carlos Ortiz Jr., 49, of Red Oak was sentenced Friday morning by Chief U.S. District Judge Sidney A. Fitzwater to two years in federal prison following his guilty plea in December to one count of retaliating against a federal official, U.S. Attorney James T. Jacks of the Northern District of Texas announced.

Ortiz has been in federal custody since his arrest in late August on a related charge outlined in a federal criminal complaint.?

According to documents filed in the case, since 1988, Ortiz worked as an FBI special agent in the Dallas division. In May 2010, he was placed on leave without pay, pending termination proceedings. He was terminated Aug. 25, 2010, at the time of his arrest. He has verbally expressed his anger with the Dallas division special agent in charge, Robert E. Casey Jr., for terminating his employment. On Aug. 16, 2010, Ortiz retrieved about 29 weapons, one AR-15 rifle, one .22 caliber rifle with silencer and two .308 caliber weapons, from a close friend, according to authorities.

From late evening Aug. 19, 2010, to the early morning hours of Aug. 20, 2010, Ortiz telephoned this long-time, close friend. Because of the nature of the communication, this friend contacted another friend of Ortiz’s, who had also been telephoned by Ortiz during the same time period. This friend then reported Ortiz’s behavior to a special agent with the FBI in the early morning hours of Aug. 20.

That afternoon, Ortiz contacted the friend from whom he had received the weapons and on a recorded call, stated that he wanted a .50 caliber gun and expressed anger at losing his job with the FBI. Throughout the weekend of Aug 21-22, Ortiz continued his calls to these two friends and continued to request assistance in acquiring a handgun with a silencer, authorities said.

On the date of his arrest, during the execution of a federal search warrant at Oritiz’ residence and vehicle, a “signed sworn statement” by Ortiz was found, according to authorities. In this statement Ortiz writes, “ … Mr. Casey has broken me as a man and human being, with his constant threats and follow through terminating me leaving with no way to sustain my son. Mr. Casey never listened to me and has left me no options.” Additionally, Ortiz wrote, “Finally that if Mr. Casey was not allowed to have so much power unchecked this would have never happened . . .” This “signed sworn statement” was left in Ortiz’ residence in an envelope, which bore the following notation: “DAD TAKE TO THE PRESS.” Included in the firearms seized were .308 caliber firearms, the caliber that Ortiz specified in his threat against the FBI Dallas division special agent in charge, according to authorities.

 The case was investigated by the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Criminal Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney Chad E. Meacham was in charge of the prosecution.