ENNIS – Officials said a heated oil leak caused a fire Tuesday morning at CertainTeed Roofing. Firefighters were dispatched to the 2900 block of N. Kaufman St. at about 10 a.m.
Fire Chief David Hopkins said the heated oil leaked into a silo that contained talc, which caused the material to start smoldering.
Firefighters attempted to isolate the leak but the valves to perform that function were not working, Hopkins said, saying a pipe had to be cut to shut the valve off completely and allow first responders to put out the fire with water. This also prevented the water mixing with the hot oil, he said, noting that first responders used a ladder truck.
No injuries were reported from the fire but firefighters faced difficulties from the heat at the scene, Hopkins said.
Mutual aid was received from the Waxahachie Fire Department, which provided a unit to fill in at the station while first responders were on the call.
Contact Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org or 469-517-1451.