An off-road vehicle known as a “Gator” is being cited as the cause for a grass fire that burned about 100 acres Saturday evening.

First responders from around the county were dispatched at 5:43 p.m. to the call, located east of U.S. Highway 287 Bypass on Parks School House Road.

Waxahachie Fire Chief David Hudgins said one of the difficulties with the fire was accessing the area near the call. Firefighters also contacted the members of Emergency Service District No. 6 Volunteer Fire Department, since the fire was located outside of the city limits.

Providing assistance on the call were members of the Palmer, ESD No. 6, Ennis, Avalon, Red Oak and Garrett fire departments.

No injuries were reported from firefighters working at the scene and no structures were damaged.

Due to the lack of fire hydrants in the area, shuttle operations with water tankers were conducted. The cause of the fire was ruled as accidental in nature due to the heat emanating from the Gator’s exhaust system.

Once the fire was under control, Waxahachie units cleared the scene at 8:01 p.m. leaving ESD No. 6 in command.

Contact Andrew at andrew.branca@wninews.com or 469-517-1451.