PALMER – The Palmer Fire Department responded late Friday morning to a call of a grass fire between Pace Road and Wynn Way, just north of the city limits.
Darren Wynn, a resident on Wynn Way, said the fire was caused by a riding lawnmower.
“My son was mowing this morning in the area just behind our house on Wynn Way and he looked down and saw the belts smoldering and it caught the grass on fire,” Wynn said.
Firefighters from neighboring Bristol, Ferris, Garrett (both the city and rural fire departments) and Ennis assisted the Palmer Fire Department.
“We’ve been evacuating the area on Pace Road, especially when the fire jumped the road in one spot,” Palmer Assistant Fire Chief Loyd Higdon said.
The fire was contained by about 12:45 p.m. with units continuing to check the area for hot spots.
The fire spread from Wynn Way to Pace Road, which is at least a quarter of a mile, Higdon said.
There were no structure fires as a result of the blaze.
Contact Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org or 469-517-1450.