The Waxahachie Fire Department responded to a fire early this morning in the 200 block of Aldridge St.

“The lady next door heard her dog barking and wouldn’t shut up, so she went outside to see what was going on,” Fire Chief David Hudgins said. “When she stepped outside, she saw fire inside the house and went back in to call 9-1-1. That’s when she heard the window break and the fire started coming out of the window.

“It would have been a lot worse (without the alert from the neighbor). There was a lot of personal property in there,” Hudgins said, saying firefighters were able to respond quickly to handle the blaze.

A squad was already out and in the area and arrived at the scene at 2:08 a.m. to find fire visible from one of the windows in the middle of the house, Hudgins said. “We pulled a box alarm and sent everyone, and backed Red Oak into station 3 to cover the rest of the city.”

There was no one at home at the time of the fire, which remains under investigation.

Damages have been estimated at about $25,000 to the one-story, brick structure, with about $7,000 reported in contents damage.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 4:05 a.m.

E-mail JoAnn at editor@waxahachiedailylight.com