This Week’s Weather Quiz
1. The following four dates are the first freeze dates of the fall that I have recorded for each of the last four years, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Can you guess the correct year with the correct first freeze date? (a) Nov. 17 (b) Nov. 24 (c) Nov. 30 (d) Dec. 1.
2. Normally, how many days should we have in November that reach freezing or below? (a) only one day (b) three days (c) five days (d) seven days.
3. During the last 33 year that I have recorded weather observations and records in Ennis, how many of those 33 years have I not recorded a freeze in the month of November? (a) none (b) only two years (c) five years (d) eight years
4. What’s the most days that I have recorded a freeze in the month of November? (a) 6 days (b) 9 days (c) 12 days (d) 15 days
5. When was the last year that I did not record a freeze in the month of November? (a) 2006 (b) 2004 (c) 2000 (d) 1998
As of Nov. 11, 2007, I have recorded only 0.94 of an inch of rain in the last 67 days.
Now, let’s take a look back at October 2007.
Oct. 1 - I started as a National Weather Service weather observer. I record daily weather data for Ennis and send each days data to them at the first of each month for the previous month. Observations are taken at 8 a.m. for the 24 hour period.
Every month, each Weather Service Office sends this report along with other weather observer reports to the National Climatic Data Center. I also report any severe weather in Ennis to them immediately. I still report Ennis rainfall to the meteorologist at KXAS-TV Channel 5, which I began doing April 6, 1973.
Oct. 18 - at 6 p.m. the humidity was a low 18 percent. Very dry air. At 11:30 p.m. the humidity was still a low 36 percent.
Oct. 19 - at 3 p.m. the humidity was only 23 percent.
Oct. 20-23 - I recorded a maximum wind gust each day of 32 mph. I also recorded a wind gust of 32 mph. on October 24.
Oct. 20 - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. - it was the sixth Ennis Autumn Day Festival. The weather conditions at 10 a.m. were temperature 72 degrees, wind south southwest 10 to 20 mph with a gust of 29 mph. at 9:38 a.m. and clear skies. The low temperature was 59 degrees and the high a warm 88 degrees.
Oct. 22 - the high temperature of 72 degrees occurred at 12 a.m.
Oct. 22. At 8 a.m. the temperature was 53 degrees as a cool front had moved through the area with a total of 0.52 of an inch of rain and a north wind 10 to 20 mph.
Oct. 31 - Halloween evening - at 6 p.m. the temperature was 78 degrees, winds calm, humidity 37 percent, barometer - 30.07 and steady.
At 7 p.m. the temperature 69 degrees, winds calm, scattered spooks and goblins. At 8 p.m. temperature 64 degrees, winds were calm, with scattered spooks and goblins.
Summary for October 2007:
The coldest temperature was 39 degrees on Oct. 26 and the warmest was 94 degrees on Oct. 1. Oct. 2007 is the second warmest October that I have recorded during the last 34 years that I have recorded weather records and observations in Ennis.
The average temperature was 70.8 degrees or 2.7 degrees above normal. The warmest October I have recorded is Oct. 2004 with an average of 72.4 degrees.
The total rainfall was only 0.89 of an inch recorded all month or 3.98 inches below normal. We knew after such a wet start to 2007, (a total of 36.41 inches during the first six months of this year, which is about the normal rainfall for an entire year), that we would see some dry weather sometime during the last six months of 2007. But, despite this current mini drought, January through October still has a whopping total of 45.17 inches of rain, or 11.79 inches above normal.
Ennis Temperatures and Rainfall for the Week of Nov. 5-11, 2007:
The normal low temperature for this time of year is 48 degrees. The normal high temperature for this time of year is 69 degrees.
Monday, Nov. 5 - low temperature 61 degrees; high temperature 84 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Tuesday, Nov. 6 - low temperature 50 degrees; high temperature 65 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Wednesday, Nov. 7 - low temperature 41 degrees; high temperature 64 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Thursday, Nov. 8 - low temperature 48 degrees; high temperature 76 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Friday, Nov. 9 - low temperature 60 degrees; high temperature 82 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Saturday, Nov. 10 - low temperature 63 degrees; high temperature 83 degrees. Rainfall - a trace of rain.
Sunday, Nov. 11 - low temperature 62 degrees; high temperature 80 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Temperature Range and Total Rainfall for the Week of Nov. 5-11, 2007:
The coolest temperature was 41 degrees on Nov. 7. The warmest temperature was 84 degrees on Nov. 5. Total rainfall Nov. 5-11 - a trace.
Rainfall for Month and Year:
Rainfall Nov. 1-11 - a trace of rain. Normal rainfall for all of November - 3.42 inches. Rainfall so far this year, January through Nov. 11 - 45.17 inches. Normal rainfall January through all of November - 36.77 inches.
Weather Flashbacks for Nov. 5-11:
Nov. 7, 1998 - low temperature 48 degrees; high temperature 50 degrees. Cloudy and cold with 0,30 of an inch of rain.
Nov. 7, 2006 - Election Day - low temperature 50 degrees; high temperature 75 degrees. Fair and mild.
Nov. 8, 1987 - low temperature 63 degrees; high temperature 69 degrees. Cloudy with 1.50 inches of rain.
Nov. 8, 1990 - low temperature 45 degrees; high temperature 49 degrees. Cloudy and cold with 0.42 of an inch of rain during the night and 1.70 inches during the day.
Nov. 9, 1991 - low temperature 26 degrees; high temperature 54 degrees. Clear and cold.
Nov. 11, 1985 - low temperature 47 degrees; high temperature 53 degrees. Cloudy and cool with 0.50 of an inch of rain.
Nov. 11, 1986 - low temperature 35 degrees; high temperature 40 degrees. Cloudy and cold.
This Week’s Small Texas Town Salute:
Liberty Hill - population 73, located in Houston County in east Texas.
Mentz - population 100, located in Colorado County in south central Texas.
Norias - population 45, located in Kenedy County on the lower Gulf Coast.
Piedmont - population 46, located in Grimes County in southeast Texas.
Riverby - population 15, located in Fannin County in north Texas.
Sempronius - population 15, located in Austin County in southeast Texas.
Tuxedo - population 42, located in Jones County on the west Texas rolling plains.
Answers to this Week’s Weather Quiz:
1. A - Nov. 17 - 32 degrees - 2005, (b) Nov. 24 - 29 degrees - 2003, (c) Nov. 30 - 32 degrees - 2006, (d) Dec. 1
2. B - Normally, we should have three days that reach freezing or below in November.
3. D - During the last 33 years, I have recorded eight of those years that I did not record a freeze in the month of November.
4. B - During the last 33 years, the most days that I have recorded a freeze in the month of November is nine in Nov. 1993.
5. B - The last year that I did not record a freeze in November was 2004.