This Week’s Weather Quiz
1. Last Thanksgiving Day was on Nov. 23. Can you guess the weather conditions that I recorded in Ennis last Thanksgiving Day? (a) low temperature, 50 degrees; high temperature, 76 degrees with clear skies(b) low - 26 degrees; high - only 46 degrees. Partly cloudy, windy and cold. (c) low - 44 degrees; high - 59 degrees. Cloudy and cool. (d) low - 57 degrees; high - 67 degrees. Cloudy with showers and 0.56 of an inch of rain.
2. As of Nov. 18, what is the coolest temperature that I have recorded this November? (a) 41 degrees (b) 44 degrees (c) 47 degrees (d) 50 degrees
3. As of November 18, what’s the warmest temperature that I have recorded this November? (a) 82 degrees (b) 85 degrees (c) 88 degrees (d) 90 degrees
4. The normal average temperature for the first half of November is 58.4 degrees. Can you guess what it was the first half of this November? (a) 57.1 degrees (b) 58.8 degrees (c) 62.6 degrees (d) 66.1 degrees
5. During the last 33 years, the driest November I have recorded had only 0.27 of an inch of rain. Can you guess what year this dry November occurred? (a) November 2006 (b) November 2003 (c) November 2001 (d) November 1999.
So far this year, January through October, I have recorded a total of 45.17 inches of rain. I recorded 29.92 inches of that in just three months, March - 10.27 inches, May - 8.40 inches and June - 11.25 inches. The other seven months, January, February, April, July, August, September and October produced only 15.25 inches.
Even with a total of 45.17 inches of rain January through October, four of those months each had a total rainfall of less than one inch of rain. They are: February - 0.96 of an inch, April - 0.86 of an inch, August - 0.29 of an inch and October - 0.89 of an inch.
Here is yet another different look at our rainfall January through October this year. January, March, May, June, July and September, had a total of 42.17 inches of rain. The other four months, February - 0.96 of an inch, April - 0.86 of an inch, August - 0.29 of an inch, and October - 0.89 of an inch, had a combined total of only 3.00 inches.
Ennis Temperatures and Total Rainfall for the week of Nov. 12-18, 2007:
The normal low temperature for this time of year is 45 degrees. The normal high temperature for this time of year is 65 degrees.
Monday, Nov. 12 - low temperature 65 degrees; high temperature 82 degrees. Rainfall
0.00 of an inch.
Tuesday, Nov. 13 - low temperature 63 degrees; high temperature 82 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Wednesday, Nov. 14 - low temperature 58 degrees; high temperature 85 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch. Maximum wind gust - 35 mph.
Thursday, Nov. 15 - low temperature 43 degrees; high temperature 62 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Friday, Nov. 16 - low temperature 41 degrees; high temperature 69 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Saturday, Nov. 17 - low temperature 56 degrees; high temperature 79 degrees. Rainfall - a trace.
Sunday, Nov. 18 - low temperature 59 degrees; high temperature 79 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Temperature Range and Total Rainfall for the Week of Nov. 12-18, 2007:
The coolest temperature 41 degrees on Nov. 16. The warmest temperature 85 degrees on Nov. 14. Total rainfall Nov. 12-18 - a trace.
Rainfall for Month and Year:
Rainfall Nov. 1-18 - a trace. Normal rainfall for all of November - 3.42 inches. Rainfall so far this year, January through Nov. 18 - 45.17 inches. Normal rainfall January through all of November - 36.7 inches.
Weather Flashbacks for Nov. 12-18:
Nov. 12, 1986 - low temperature 34 degrees; high temperature 44 degrees. Cloudy, windy and cold with 0.10 of an inch of rain.
Nov. 12, 1998 - low temperature 43 degrees; high temperature 54 degrees. Cloudy and cold with 1.15 inches of rain.
Nov. 14, 1989 - low temperature 61 degrees; high temperature 88 degrees. Clear, windy and warm.
Nov. 15, 1976 - low temperature 32 degrees; high temperature 42 degrees. Cloudy and cold.
Nov. 15, 1982 - low temperature 25 degrees; high temperature 54 degrees. Fair and cool with an early morning hard freeze.
Nov. 16, 1976 - low temperature 36 degrees; high temperature 41 degrees. Cloudy and cold.
Nov. 17, 1997 - low temperature 28 degrees; high temperature 47 degrees. Cloudy and cold.
This Week’s Small Texas Town Salute:
Whitman - population 25, located in Washington County in southeast Texas.
Arvana - population 25, located in Dawson County on the high plains of west Texas.
Blair - population 25, located in Taylor County in west central Texas.
Center Grove - population 65, located in Titus County in east Texas.
Dozier - population 30, located in Collingsworth County in the Panhandle.
Etolle - population 70, located in Nacogdoches County in east Texas.
Four Corners - population 18, located in Chambers County on the Gulf coastal plains.
Answers to this Week’s Weather Quiz:
1. A - Last Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 23, 2006, the low temperature was 50 degrees and the high, a mild 76 degrees with clear skies.
2. A - As of Nov. 18, the coolest temperature so far this November is 41 degrees on Nov. 7 and 16.
3. B - As of Nov. 18, the warmest temperature so far this November is 85 degrees on Nov. 14.
4. D - The average temperature for the first half of this November is 66.1 degrees or 7.7 degrees above normal.
5. D - The driest November that I have recorded is November 1999 with only 0.27 of an inch of rain recorded all month.