This Week’s Weather Quiz:
1.What was the coolest temperature that I recorded during all of May 2007? (a) 47 degrees (b) 53 degrees (c) 57 degrees (d) 63 degrees
2. What was the warmest temperature that I recorded during all of May 2007? (a) only 82 degrees (b) 85 degrees (c) 88 degrees (d) 91 degrees.
3. The normal average temperature for May is 76.3 degrees. Can you guess what it was for May 2007? (a) 73.4 degrees (b) 75.4 degrees (c) 76.6 degrees (d) 77.7 degrees
4. Can you guess how much rainfall that I recorded for all of May 2007? (a) 5.52 inches (b) 6.48 inches (c) 7.10 inches (d) 8.40 inches
5. Last year 2006, January through May, I recorded 17.23 inches of rain. The normal rainfall January through May is 17.86 inches. Can you guess what I recorded January through May of this year? (a) 19.25 inches (b) 21.21 inches (c) 23.31 inches (d) 25.16 inches
Flash floods - the No. 1 weather killer in the United States.
Even six inches of fast-moving flood water can knock you off your feet, and a depth of two feet will float your car! NEVER try to walk, swim or drive through such swift water. If you come upon flood waters, STOP TURN AROUND AND GO ANOTHER WAY.
How can a foot or two of water cost you your life?
Water weighs 62.4 lbs. per cubic foot and typically flows downstream at 6 to 12 mph.
When a vehicle stalls in the water, the water’s momentum is transferred to the car. For each foot the water rises, 500 pounds of lateral force are applied to the car.
But the biggest factor is buoyancy. For each foot the water rises up the side of the car, the car displaces 1,500 pounds of water. In effect, the car weighs 1,500 pounds less than each foot the water rises.
Two feet of water will carry away most automobiles.
Ennis Temperatures and Rainfall for the Week of May 28-June 3, 2007:
The normal low temperature for this time of year is 68 degrees. The normal high temperature for this time of year is 88 degrees.
Monday, May 28 - low temperature 67 degrees; high temperature 78 degrees. Rainfall - 0.25 of an inch.
Tuesday, May 29 - low temperature 67 degrees; high temperature 81 degrees. Rainfall - 0.71 of an inch.
Wednesday, May 30 - low temperature 64 degrees; high temperature 73 degrees. Rainfall - 0.36 of an inch.
Thursday, May 31 - low temperature 68 degrees; high temperature 87 degrees. Rainfall - 0.36 of an inch.
Friday, June 1 - low temperature 69 degrees; high temperature 86 degrees. Rainfall - 0.00 of an inch.
Saturday, June 2 - low temperature 65 degrees; high temperature 85 degrees. Rainfall - 0.47 of an inch.
Sunday, June 3 - low temperature 66 degrees; high temperature 84 degrees. Rainfall - 0.40 of an inch.
Temperature range and total rainfall for the Week of May 28-Jjune 3, 2007:
The coolest temperature 64 degrees on May 30. The warmest temperature 87 degrees on May 31. Total rainfall May 28-June 3 - 2.55 inches.
Rainfall for Month and Year:
Rainfall June 1-3 - 0.87 of an inch. Normal rainfall for all of June - 3.86 inches. Rainfall so far this year, January through June 3 - 26.03 inches. Normal rainfall January through all of June - 21.72 inches.
Weather Flashbacks for May 28-June 3:
May 28, 2005 - low temperature 68 degrees; high temperature 76 degrees. Cloudy with 0.66 of an inch of rain. At 10 a.m. the Polka Festival Parade weather conditions were temperature 73 degrees, cloudy skies, winds - southeast at 0-5 mph. Showers and thunderstorms were approaching the area from the southwest. At 11 a.m. dark skies and thunder was recorded. At 11:10 a.m. rain gradually was increasing in intensity. At 11:12 a.m. moderate to heavy rain and thunder. Rain ended at 12:30 p.m. At 1:30 p.m. showers again. At 5 p.m. showers. It was not a good second day of the Polka Festival weekend.
May 29, 2004 - low temperature 73 degrees; high temperature 91 degrees. At 10 a.m. the Polka Festival Parade weather conditions were cloudy skies, temperature - 79 degrees, winds - south at 10 to 15 mph.
May 30, 2005 - Memorial Day - low temperature 68 degrees; high temperature 77 degrees. Cloudy to partly cloudy. At 2:45 p.m. occasional showers. Moderate to heavy rain was falling at 3:20 p.m. Rain ended at 3:40 p.m. At 6 p.m., sunshine for an evening barbecue.
May 31, 1999 - Memorial Day - low temperature 69 degrees; high temperature 88 degrees. Partly cloudy with a trace of rain.
May 30, 2006 - low temperature 69 degrees; high temperature 90 degrees. Partly cloudy and warm. I had recorded 24 consecutive days with only 0.01 of an inch of rain. No rain in the last 16 days.
June 1, 1998 - low temperature 75 degrees; high temperature 101 degrees. Clear and very hot.
June 3, 1981 - low temperature 65 degrees; high temperature 70 degrees. Cloudy to partly cloudy with 1.50 inches of rain,
This Week’s Small Texas Town Salute:
Ottine - population 90, located in Gonzales County in south Texas.
Petty - population 24, located in Lynn County on the south plains of west Texas.
Ridgeway - population 67, located in Robertson County in east central Texas.
Scranton - population 40, located in Eastland County in west central Texas.
Truby - population 26, located in Jones County on the west Texas Plains.
White City - population 40, located in Wilbarger County in northwest Texas.
Antioch - population 15, located in Madison County in east central Texas.
Answers to this Week’s Weather Quiz:
1. C - the coolest temperature recorded in May 2007 was 57 degrees on May 17.
2. D - the warmest temperature that I recorded in May 2007 was 91 degrees on May 14 and 15.
3. A - the average temperature that I recorded for May 2007 was 73.4 degrees or 2.9 degrees below normal.
4. D - the total rainfall that I recorded for all of May 2007 was 8.40 inches or 3.75 inches above normal.
5. D - January through May this year, I recorded 25.16 inches of rain. That is exactly the total rainfall that I recorded for the entire year of a dry 2005.