MIDLOTHIAN – A structure fire Thursday evening resulted in the death of a pet dog due to smoke inhalation. First responders were dispatched to Springer Road at 8:34 p.m.

“The fire stated in the garage and it extended into the attic and spread to the kitchen. Fire crews arrived on scene with fire showing from the garage and the roof,” Midlothian Deputy Fire Chief Dale McCaskill said. “They were able to go inside and were able to cut off the progression of the fire and extinguish it.”

McCaskill said the owner of the house had an elderly parent they had to go inside and physically remove from the house after the fire had started. When firefighters arrived, all occupants were out.

The only difficulty on the call for firefighters was the heat, which reached a high of 104 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Mutual aid was received from the Waxahachie and Cedar Hill fire departments. Oncor was called out to cut the power from the structure and the American Red Cross provided assistance to the displaced residents.

McCaskill said the garage was a total loss, however, 99 percent of the contents in the interior of the structure were intact because there no fire damage below the ceiling. The fire damage was contained to the attic, he said, saying there was smoke and water damage throughout the structure.

Units cleared the scene at midnight.

Contact Andrew at andrew.branca@wninews.com or 469-517-1451.