MAYPEARL – The Maypearl Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched Monday afternoon on a call of a child’s futon accidentally set on fire. Emily Austin told the Daily Light she’d been cleaning with bleach and had lit a scented candle to get rid of the fumes.

“The baby had made a mess on the carpet,”  Austin said. “I always use bleach to sterilize. I used too much and the fumes were really strong.”

Austin said she’d opened a window, turned on the fan and placed the candle on the floor, next to the futon. When her four children came home from school, she told them to stay out of the room since the fumes were so strong and closed the bedroom door.

One of her children then told Austin they smelled something other than the bleach; she entered the bedroom to find the futon engulfed in flames.

“My in-laws live nearby, so they came over and got the water hose out, while the fire department was on their way,” Austin said. “I wasn’t even thinking about putting it out. I just grabbed the kids and got outside.”

Firefighters extinguished the futon and dragged the charred remains into the front yard.

“I know a lot of the guys that work for the fire department,” Austin said. “They were teasing me and giving me a hard time about it.”