Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is a much-anticipated Star Wars prequel, “Solo: A Star Wars Story” which shows how a young Solo met is copilot Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion; “In Darkness” (unrated) about a blind pianist Sofia (Natalie Dormer) who overhears a murder committed in the apartment upstairs from hers that sends her down a dark path into London’s gritty criminal underworld; and the PG-13 rated documentary, “The Gospel According to André” which takes viewers on an emotional journey from the icon’s roots growing up in the segregated Jim Crow South to become one of the most influential tastemakers and fashion curators of our times.
2. Remember the sacrifices: Memorial Day is a time to honor those who have died in service to their country, and parades and other ceremonies are scheduled. In these politically divisive times it is important to do acts of unity. The National Moment of Remembrance, was established by Congress, and asks Americans, wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute. Tradition also says to fly the flag half-staff from dawn until noon.
3. Start your engines as Sunday is the running of the Indianapolis 500, a Memorial Day weekend tradition. The Indy 500 is one of the oldest races in the world. If you’re not one of the thousands of people heading to Indianapolis for the festivities, race coverage will be televised outside the local market. For more information, go to http://www.indy500.com/.
4. May is National Pet Month, a celebration of the benefits that pets bring to people’s lives. Donate food or funds to a local animal shelter in your pet’s name or volunteer your time. Teach children about the importance of pets and show them how to properly take care of animals.
5. It’s not officially summer, but it is pool season. If the weather cooperates this weekend, head to the public pool for some fun in the sun. Or throw a water-fun party in your backyard. Break out the slip-n-slide and the sprinkler, set up a kiddie pool, get some water balloons and get some squirt guns and enjoy the day!