1. In theaters this weekend is “Deadpool 2” rated R, a superhero dark comedy in which the foul-mouthed mutant mercenary (Ryan Reynolds) brings together a team of fellow mutant rogues to protect a young boy of supernatural abilities from the brutal, time-traveling mutant, Cable (Josh Brolin); “Book Club” a comedy about four lifelong friends have their lives forever changed after reading “50 Shades of Grey” in their monthly book club; and the family friendly comedic film “Show Dogs” rated PG-13, about Max, a macho, solitary Rottweiler police dog (voiced by rapper Ludacris) who is ordered to go undercover as a primped show dog in a prestigious dog show, along with his human partner (Will Arnett), to avert a disaster from happening.
2. The second leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown takes place Saturday. Justify will try to win the Preakness after winning the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago. The race is at 6:20 p.m. ET and airs on NBC.
3. Friday is National Bike to Work Day, a time when people are encouraged to ditch their automobiles and commute with their bikes if possible. You can ride an old-timey bike, a fancy new version with shocks – whatever, just bike! It’s good for your health and for the environment.
4. Saturday is Armed Forces Day, a day to honor those serving our country in the military. Check the newspaper for events in your town, or check out the official site, http://afd.defense.gov/ for more information.
5. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drowning is the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages one to 14. On Saturday, National Learn to Swim Day, parents and guardians should teach children about water safety as well as the importance and benefits of learning to swim. Learn more at teachmetoswim.com/national-learn-to-swim-day.