Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. Opening in theaters is “Life of the Party” rated PG-13, a comedy about dedicated housewife Deanna (Melissa McCarthy) who turns regret into reset by going back to college but winds up at the same school as her less-than-thrilled daughter; “Breaking In” a PG-13-rated thriller about a mom (Gabrielle Union) fighting to protect her family during a home invasion.
2. Saturday is National Miniature Golf Day, so if there’s a course near you, consider taking the family for an outing. You also could set up a mini-golf course in your backyard, using cans, holes or croquet wickets.
3. Sunday is also International Hummus Day. The delicious garbanzo bean spread can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is high in protein while being low in fat. Make your own at home by combining a 15-ounce can of chickpeas with a clove or garlic, ¼ cup of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of tahini (sesame seed paste), and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and fresh or dried herbs.
4. For 1 in 6 Americans, the availability of nutritionally adequate or safe food is limited or uncertain. This Saturday, leave out a bag or two filled with nonperishable foods by your mailbox for the 26th annual Letter Carriers’ Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive, one of the nation’s largest hunger relief efforts. Mail carriers, postal workers and other volunteers collected about 71 million pounds of food last year. For more information, go to the official website, http://www.helpstampouthunger.com/.
5. Last but definitely not least, Sunday is Mother’s Day. You still have time to get or make the perfect card and/or gift, or plan a special day for Mom – just don’t forget to tell her how much you appreciate her!