Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. Saturday is Earth Day and this year’s theme is “End Plastic Pollution.” The Earth Day Network’s goal is to “build a world of educated consumers of all ages who understand the environmental, climate and health consequences of using plastics.” Find out where your local events are by visiting http://www.earthday.org/
2. Opening in theaters this Friday is “I Feel Pretty” rated PG-13, about a woman (Amy Schumer) who after struggling with insecurity for years, wakes from a fall believing she is the most beautiful and capable woman on the planet; the comedic sequel “Super Troopers 2,” rated R, in which a border dispute arises between the U.S. and Canada and the troopers are tasked with establishing a highway patrol station in the disputed area; and “Traffik” also rated-R, about a couple (Paula Patton and Omar Epps) off for a romantic weekend in the mountains who are accosted by a biker gang.
3. Sunday is National Jelly Bean Day, a day to enjoy jelly beans, of course! Did you know that each year in the U.S, there are 16 billion jelly beans manufactured just for Easter? Buy some for yourself and/or your friends, and celebrate this delicious candy.
4. While no one knows on which day in April William Shakespeare was born, his birthday is traditionally celebrated on April 23. Replace your “you” with a” thou” or “thee” and address all your friends as “cousins,” at the very least add a “eth” to the end of your verbs. Then “go-eth” to talklikeshakespeare.org to learn more about the poet — such as why he’s called “the Bard” — and even download your own Shakespeare mask.
5. Is there a member of your office staff who makes your day run easier? If so, celebrate them all next week, which is Administrative Professionals Week. It’s a time to recognize the folks who keep offices running smoothly. Give that special person or persons a gift to show how much you appreciate the time an administrative assistant saved the day or got you out of trouble.